COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
Population: 836,178 (2020)
Land Size: 28,051 sq km (10,830 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Jul 3, 2020: Cameroon-Equatorial Guinea Relations - Ministers Explore Areas of Common Interest - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[Cameroon Tribune] External Relations Minister, Mbella Mbella received in audience the Equato Guinean Minister of State; Minister in charge of Regional Integration, Baltasar Engonga Edjo on June 30, 2020.
- Wed - Jul 1, 2020: Malabo Halts Construction of Cameroon Border Wall - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[VOA] Equatorial Guinea has agreed to pause the construction of a controversial border wall with Cameroon after talks between the two countries' defense ministers in Yaoundé. The two sides also agreed once again to withdraw troops from their disputed border after deadly clashes left at least seven people dead. An agreement earlier this month to withdraw forces failed to hold and some border traders are skeptical of this latest pact.
- Tue - Jun 30, 2020: Community Forestry Can Work, but Plans in the Democratic Republic of Congo Show What's Missing - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[The Conversation Africa] The Congo river basin spans six central African countries: Cameroon, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea and the Republic of Congo. It is known as "Africa's lung" because it hosts the world's second largest tropical forest. It covers an area of around 3 million square kilometres - almost the size of India.
- Wed - Jun 10, 2020: Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea Agree to Demarcate Border after Skirmishes - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[VOA] Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea have agreed to jointly map out a disputed border area after skirmishes between their troops left several wounded and property destroyed. Officials from the two countries are asking hundreds of traders and farmers who relocated because of the clashes to return to the disputed area but, some are reluctant.
- Fri - Jun 5, 2020: Angola Chairs ECCAS Commission - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[ANGOP] Luanda -- The Council of Ministers of the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) approved Thursday, by consensus, the candidate of Angola for the position of president of the organ's Commission, Gilberto Veríssimo, as part of the ongoing reform process.