COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
Population: 1,222,442 (2015)
Land Size: 28,051 sq km (10,830 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Nov 22, 2017: Eternal Blame Game - Mugabe, Sirleaf & Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue.- or Demand Participatory Democracy - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[Observer] Zimbabwe may start impeachment proceedings against President Mugabe soon. However, the legally frail reasons given for his impeachment makes us to conclude that the greatest need in African nations is not a patriotic leader. Africa needs a better system of governance, not a better president running a corrupt system built on individual accomplishments. After assessing the horrendous continental impact of great African leaders with outstanding accolades such as Nobel Laureates, freedom fighters and royalties
- Mon - Nov 13, 2017: Ruling Party Expected to Win As Polls Close - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[Deutsche Welle] President Teodoro Obiang Nguema has been the country's president for 37 years. The party of Africa's longest serving leader was widely expected to win the vote.
- Sun - Oct 29, 2017: Equatorial Guinean Vice President Convicted of Embezzlement in France - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[VOA] A French court has sentenced Equatorial Guinea's vice-president, Teodorin Obiang, to a three-year suspended jail term Friday for embezzling and laundering his country's money to acquire luxury properties and other assets in France. Teodorin Obiang is the son of Equatorial Guinea's president, Teodoro Obiang.
- Sat - Oct 28, 2017: Ruling Party Mocks French Obiang Sentence - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[RFI] Equatorial Guinea's ruling party has dubbed a French court's sentence on its president's son a "failure" for the NGOs who launched the legal action for embezzlement of part of the country's wealth.
- Sat - Oct 28, 2017: President Obiang's Son Given Suspended Sentence in French Trial - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[RFI] The son of Equatorial Guinea's President Teodoro Obiang has been given a three-month suspended jail sentence and fine by a French court in the first of three cases of embezzlement targeting the families of African leaders.