COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
Population: 797,457 (2018)
Land Size: 28,051 sq km (10,830 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Mon - Aug 19, 2019: What's Behind the Equatoguinean-Cameroonian Border Wall Plan? - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[Deutsche Welle] It is not unusual for Equatorial Guinea to seal its border with Cameroon. But a plan to build a solid border wall has Cameroonians fuming and questions swirling over whether curbing illegal migration is the real motive.
- Wed - Aug 14, 2019: Ambassador to Equatorial Guinea Presents Figured Copies of His Credentials - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[ANGOP] Luanda -The Angolan diplomat, Antonio Manuel Luvualu de Carvalho, delivered on Monday the Figured Copies of his Letters of Credence to the minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of Equatorial Guinea, Simeón Oyono Esono Angue.
- Mon - Aug 5, 2019: Equatorial Guinea - President Nguema's 'Gruesome' 40 Years of Human Rights Abuses - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[AI London] 'Muzzling of dissent has had a devastating and chilling effect' - Marta Colomer
- Mon - Aug 5, 2019: Coup Trial Travesty of Justice - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[HRW] An Equatorial Guinea court's conviction of 112 defendants on May 31, 2019, in a trial rife with due process violations, including confessions extracted through torture, represents a gross miscarriage of justice, Human Rights Watch said today in releasing a video about the trial.
- Mon - Aug 5, 2019: The Anniversary That Shouldn't Be - 40 Years of President Obiang in Equatorial Guinea - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[HRW] The past few years have been unsparing for African leaders who cling to power. In April, protesters in Sudan toppled President Omar al-Bashir's 30-year rule, just after protests in Algeria brought down Abdelaziz Bouteflika, who had been president for two decades. These two historic events are the latest in a groundswell of people rising up against entrenched leadership across the continent, from the Gambia to Angola, Zimbabwe, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.