COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
Population: 797,457 (2018)
Land Size: 28,051 sq km (10,830 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Jun 12, 2019: Schlettwein in Equatorial Guinea for Various Meetings - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[Namibia Economist] The Minister of Finance, Calle Schlettwein this week travelled to Malabo, Equatorial Guinea to attend the 2019 and the 54th Annual Meeting of the African Development Bank Group, as well as the 45th Annual Meeting of the African Development Fund from 11 to 14 June.
- Mon - Jun 10, 2019: Flawed Trial of Alleged Coup Plotter Ends With Ludicrous Sentences - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[EG Justice] Equatorial Guinea's prosecution of dozens of detainees accused of financing terrorism and plotting to assassinate President Obiang has been characterized by gross violations of due process of law, which ended with sentences ranging from 3 years to 90 years.
- Thu - May 30, 2019: Four Accused of Killing Surveyor in Murang'a Freed on Bond - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[Nation] Four suspects charged with the murder of a surveyor who was working at the standard gauge railway have been released on a Sh1 million bond each and with surety by a Murang'a court.
- Tue - May 21, 2019: Equatorial Guinea to Host AfDB Annual General Meetings - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[Foroyaa] Equatorial Guinea will host the 54th Meeting of the Boards of Governors of the African Development Bank and the 45th Annual Meeting of the African Development Fund slated for 11th to 14th June, 2019 in the country's capital city, Malabo.
- Tue - May 21, 2019: What If Equatorial Guinea Kept Its Promises On Human Rights? - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[HRW] The United Nations' Universal Periodic Review (UPR) process is meant to give countries a chance to scrutinize the human rights records of fellow UN member states. But countries with awful human rights records often respond to the scrutiny by resorting to the same script: claim to be a paragon of virtue, while in reality being an egregious rights abuser.