COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant-Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
Population: 1,222,442 (2015)
Land Size: 28,051 sq km (10,830 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Jun 22, 2017: Gupta Lawyer, DA Ask Law Society to Investigate His Conduct - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[News24Wire] The attorney for the infamous Gupta family on Wednesday said he had written to his law society, asking it to investigate him without delay after a certain "perception" was created in the media.
- Thu - Jun 15, 2017: How Equatorial Guinea Turned Corruption Into an Art Form - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[HRW] For the past two decades, Equatorial Guinea has been one of Africa's largest oil producers and on paper, it is a middle-income economy. Yet instead of spending the country's oil riches on improving life for ordinary Equatorial Guineans, the government has squandered its enormous wealth on questionable infrastructure projects - highways to nowhere, empty 5-star hotels - where corruption is rife. A new Human Rights Watch report has found that a combination of gross mismanagement and high-level corruption has
- Sat - Jun 3, 2017: Two African Countries Get Temporary UN Seat - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[VOA] U.N. member states elected six countries Friday to temporary seats on the Security Council, the U.N. body responsible for maintaining international peace and security.
- Thu - Jun 1, 2017: Guinea President Invites Sudanese Investors to Work in His Country - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[SNA] Khartoum -The General Union of the Sudanese Businessmen has commended the efforts exerted by president Alpha Conte of Guinea for the development and promotion of relations of cooperation between the Sudanese and Guineans business sectors and his conviction that the private sector could lead to the development of the African economies.
- Tue - May 30, 2017: AU President Parties to the Libyan Crisis Will Meet in Malabo for the Formation of a Unified National Government - AllAfrica News: Equatorial Guinea
[SNA] Khartoum -The President of the African Union, president of Guinea professor Alpha Conte, said the parties to the Libyan crisis are meeting in the Equatoria Guinean capital of Malabo to form a unified national government.