COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: CairoGovernment: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
Population: 97,041,072 (2017)
Land Size: 1 million sq km (386,874 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Aug 16, 2018: FIFA Ranking - Nigeria Ranks to 49, As France Soars No. 1 - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[Vanguard] Egypt had a worse fall. Mohamed Salah's Egypt dropped from 45th to 65th.
- Thu - Aug 16, 2018: Campaign to Crush Artistic Freedom - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[HRW] Beirut -The Egyptian authorities have arrested over a dozen people in a crackdown against artists, apparently prosecuting them for exercising their freedom of speech, Human Rights Watch said today. The government also has issued new decrees to severely curtail freedom of expression. Security agencies and recently created government entities have added layers of censorship to silence criticism of the government on television and in movies, theaters, and books.
- Wed - Aug 15, 2018: Egypt Prepares 4mw Solar Power Project for Uganda's Renewable Energy - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[The Exchange] The business environment in Uganda is proving to be more conducive for investors with more investments lining up for a share of the economy.
- Wed - Aug 15, 2018: No Justice for Rab'a Victims 5 Years On - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[HRW] Beirut -Egyptian authorities have failed to investigate or prosecute a single member of the security forces five years after their systematic and widespread killing of largely peaceful protesters in Rab'a Square in Cairo, Human Rights Watch said. Hundreds of protesters have been convicted under unfair charges in mass trials stemming from the protests.
- Tue - Aug 14, 2018: Africa Has Lost a Giant: Professor Samir Amin - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[TrustAfrica] On Sunday, 12 August 2018, shortly after 4pm (local) Professor Samir Amin passed away in a hospital in Paris, where he had been flown for emergency treatment at the end of July.