COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: CairoGovernment: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
Population: 99,413,317 (2018)
Land Size: 1 million sq km (386,874 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Aug 19, 2019: U.S. Envoys Assume Key Africa Posts – But Not South Africa - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[allAfrica] Washington, DC -Career U.S. ambassadors are taking up key diplomatic assignments across Africa following confirmation by the Senate earlier this month. These include envoys to Nigeria, Egypt, Libya, Cote d'Ivoire and the African Union, as well as Malawi and Cape Verde.
- Fri - Aug 16, 2019: What You Need to Win Afcon Soccer Tourney - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[The Conversation Africa] The African Cup of Nations (AFCON) tournament is the most important sporting event on the continent. It attracts media attention, sponsors and draws significant global viewership. Organised every two years, it is also considered one of the most difficult to win based on a large qualification pool.
- Wed - Aug 14, 2019: Egypt - Rabaa Massacre Still Haunting Country - New Briefing - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[AI London] On sixth anniversary of the killings, Amnesty publishes list of five continuing effects on human rights from the massacre
- Tue - Aug 13, 2019: Cairo Trip That Split Malkia Strikers and Curious Case of Missing Passport - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[Nation] Current problems bedevilling Kenya women's volleyball team started in Cairo, where Ramdoo - in his first assignment as head coach in the July 9 to 14 Africa Cup of Nations tournament - allegedly accosted Shota Katagiri, a member of his technical bench, publicly at the team's hotel during lunch.
- Tue - Aug 13, 2019: Investigate Treatment of Detained American - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[HRW] Beirut -Egyptian authorities should investigate the conditions of US citizen Khaled Hassan who attempted suicide in July 2019 while in pretrial detention in Tora prison, Human Rights Watch and The Freedom Initiative said today. An independent inquiry is needed into Khaled Hassan's allegations that he was tortured in detention, as well as other violations of prisoners' rights in Egyptian prisons.