COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: CairoGovernment: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
Population: 97,041,072 (2017)
Land Size: 1 million sq km (386,874 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Feb 15, 2019: No Stability Without Transformation in Egypt, Analyst Says - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[RFI] Eight years ago on 11 February, Hosni Mubarak was overthrown by a popular uprising, part of the Arab spring which swept the region.Galip Dalay, a Middle East expert and visiting scholar at the University of Oxford told RFI that the lasting legacy of Mubarak was the creation a security apparatus and a police state.
- Thu - Feb 14, 2019: Set Independent Torture Inquiry - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[HRW] Beirut -The Egyptian authorities' failure to end or impartially investigate torture and mistreatment in detention facilities reinforces an urgent need for an independent international inquiry, Human Rights Watch said today. As a party to the United Nations Convention Against Torture, Egypt should also allow the United Nations special rapporteur on torture and other relevant UN experts to visit the country, including detention sites.
- Thu - Feb 14, 2019: 'Alarming Escalation' in Executions - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[AI London] Egyptian authorities today hanged three prisoners convicted of killing a police officer during clashes that erupted in the weeks following the deadly Rabaa massacre. The executions have brought the total number of executions in Egypt to six in two weeks.
- Thu - Feb 14, 2019: Simba Shock Ahly in Dar - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[CAF] Tanzania champions Simba beat Egyptian giants Al Ahly 1-0 at the National Stadium, Dar es Salaam to revive their hopes of a next round berth.
- Wed - Feb 13, 2019: Hatim Al-Sir - Sudan Interested in Strategic Cooperation With Egypt - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[SNA] Cairo -The Minister of Transport and Rural Development, Hatim Al- Sir, noted that the Egyptian Prime Minister, Dr. Moustafa Mutwali, has asserted the importance of implementation of the directives of the Sudanese and Egyptian Presidents fon the railways' linkage to facilitate movement of individuals and commodities between Sudan and Egypt.