COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: CairoGovernment: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
Population: 99,413,317 (2018)
Land Size: 1 million sq km (386,874 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Apr 8, 2020: Egypt's Gunboat Diplomacy and Ethiopia's Win-Win Approach On GERD Negotiation - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[Addis Standard] Nine years have passed since Ethiopia announced the construction of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD). The GERD - a big hydroelectric dam on one of the River Nile's main tributaries, the Blue Nile in Ethiopia - is designed to generate 6,000 megawatts of electricity. Its reservoirs will hold 74 billion cubic meters (BCM) of waters, more than the amount that flows to Egypt. Filling this immense reservoir will diminish the flow of the Nile.
- Mon - Apr 6, 2020: Coronavirus Update - Sudan Closes Border With Egypt - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -On Friday, Sudan's Federal Ministry of Health confirmed the registration of two new cases of coronavirus (Covid-19) in the country, bringing the total to 10. The Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport decided to close down the border between Sudan and Egypt as a new precautionary measure.
- Fri - Apr 3, 2020: Egypt Blocks Online 'Fake News' About Coronavirus - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[RSF] While stressing the importance of reliable information about Covid-19, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) urges the Egyptian authorities to be more transparent about their grounds for blocking websites in recent weeks that allegedly spread "false information" about the coronavirus crisis.
- Wed - Apr 1, 2020: Putting the Facts Straight On the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[Addis Standard] The COVID-19 pandemic and disparate international response to the deadly virus has put diplomacy on a standstill. International organizations, including the United Nations, have virtually shuttered their offices. Bilateral engagements have also dwindled amid travel restrictions and countries turn their attentions inward to managing the Corona virus.
- Tue - Mar 31, 2020: CBE Sets Minimum Limit On Daily Cash Deposit, Withdrawal - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[Egypt Online] The Central Bank of Egypt (CBE) decided on Sunday 29/3/2020 to set a minimum limit on daily cash deposit and withdrawal in all branches at 10,000 pounds for individuals and 50,000 for companies amid coronavirus fears.