COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
Population: 92,765,000 (2016)
Land Size: 1 million sq km (386,874 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - May 24, 2017: Tripoli Hold Zamalek - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[The Herald] Five-time African champions Zamalek were held to a surprise goalless draw by Al Ahli Tripoli in a CAF Champions League Group B encounter in Tunisia last night. The Libyan side have to play their matches in Tunisia because of unrest in their country. Having fallen to a 0-3 defeat at the hands of USM Alger of Algeria in their first match, Al Ahli Tripoli were expected to be easy prey for Zamalek.
- Wed - May 24, 2017: 'Egypt Involved in Darfur Attacks' - Al Bashir - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -President Omar Al Bashir officially accused Egypt of involvement in the fighting in areas in North and East Darfur states on Sunday.
- Wed - May 24, 2017: In Retrial, 2 Journalists Acquitted, 3 Others' Sentences Reduced - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[CPJ] New York -The Committee to Protect Journalists today welcomed the verdict by the Giza Criminal Court acquitting Egyptian journalists Hany Salah-el-Deen and Mosad Al-Barbary, and called on authorities to immediately free Abdullah al-Fakharany, Samhi Mustafa, and Mohamed al-Adly, whose sentences were reduced to five years from 25 years.
- Wed - May 24, 2017: Journalist Sentenced to 15 Years in Prison for Role in Al-Jazeera Documentary - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[CPJ] Egyptian police arrested Khaled Abdel Wahab Radwan from his home on March 7, 2014, according to the Arab Network for Human Rights Information and news reports.
- Tue - May 23, 2017: 48 to Face Military Trial Over Church Bombings - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[CISA] Cairo -Egypt has referred 48 people for military trial over suspected involvement in church bombings that killed close to 70 people.