COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
Population: 92,765,000 (2016)
Land Size: 1 million sq km (386,874 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Jun 22, 2017: Egypt's El-Sisi, Ethiopian Premier to Attend Crucial Nile Summit - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[Monitor] Kampala -Egyptian president Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi and Ethiopian premier Hailemariam Desalegne, have both confirmed attendance of the make or break Nile Basin States Summit in Kampala tomorrow. The conference is expected to bring to an end the contention over a new framework for sharing and use of the waters of River Nile.
- Wed - Jun 21, 2017: Call to Review Death Penalty for Preacher Convicted of Taxi Driver's Death - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[HRW] Beirut -Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi should cancel a death sentence confirmed by the country's highest appeals court on April 25, 2017, Human Rights Watch said today. The sentence followed a trial that violated the defendant's due process rights. If carried out, it would be the ninth execution related to an incident of political violence since the military removed the former president in 2013.
- Wed - Jun 21, 2017: Football Like You've Never Seen It - On the Pitch With Egypt's Blind Soccer Team - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[Bhekisisa] Blind football represents hope and belonging for Egypt's one million visually impaired.
- Mon - Jun 19, 2017: Morsy's Isolation Violates Rights - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[HRW] Beirut -Egyptian authorities have unlawfully prevented former President Mohamed Morsy from contacting or receiving visits from his family and lawyers in the years since the military forcibly removed him from power in July 2013, Human Rights Watch said today. On June 4, 2017, Egyptian authorities allowed Morsy to receive visits from his family and lawyer for only the second time in nearly four years.
- Sat - Jun 17, 2017: Nigerian Docked for Allegedly Defrauding Canadian Firm of $20,906 - AllAfrica News: Egypt
[Premium Times] A Nigerian identified as Taiwo Quadri allegedly defrauded a Canada-based company, Allan Dodds, of over $20,906, an Economic and Financial Crimes Commission witness, told an Ikeja Division of the Lagos State High Court on Friday.