COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Djibouti City
Government: Dominant-Party Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ismaïl Omar Guelleh
Population: 865,267 (2017)
Land Size: 23,200 sq km (8,950 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Aug 16, 2018: Somali President Arrives in Djibouti for Official Visit - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Shabelle] Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo on Thursday arrived in Djibouti after receiving an official invitation from his counterpart Ismail Omar Guelleh. The plane carrying President Farmajo and his entourage took off from the Aden Adde International Airport at around 08:00 a.m. local time.
- Thu - Aug 16, 2018: Farmaajo to Arbitrate in the Eritrea-Djibouti Diplomatic Row - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Dalsan Radio] Somalia President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmaajo will on Thursday jet off to Djibouti for what an insider has told Radio Dalsan the first stage to initiate talks between Eritrea and Djibouti.
- Wed - Aug 15, 2018: Farmaajo Meets Eritrean Foreign Affairs Minister Saleh Despite Djibouti Protest - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Dalsan Radio] Eritrea's Foreign Affairs Minister Osman Saleh on Monday arrived in the Somali capital Mogadishu in a follow up to a previous visit to the Red Sea nation by President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed Farmaajo.
- Mon - Aug 13, 2018: Six Ethiopians Killed in Djibouti - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Shabelle] Witnesses in Djibouti say six people of Ethiopian origin have been killed in alleged revenge attacks over the past three days.
- Tue - Aug 7, 2018: Arbitration Court Upholds DP World's Concession - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Addis Fortune] Though Djibouti has rebuffed the trial and its outcome, an arbitration tribunal in London upheld the validity of the concession agreement DP World has with the nation to operate the Doraleh Container Terminal. Djibouti claims the agreement is still nullified because it fails "to protect the fundamental interest of the nation."