COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Djibouti City
Government: Dominant-Party Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ismaïl Omar Guelleh
Population: 884,017 (2018)
Land Size: 23,200 sq km (8,950 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Mar 30, 2020: Coronavirus Declaration by the 8-Nation Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[IGAD] Djibouti -We, the Heads of State and Government of the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD), convening via video-conference at the Extraordinary Summit on coronavirus diseases (COVID-19) pandemic on 31st March 2020:
- Wed - Mar 25, 2020: Govt Intensifies Awareness-Raising Efforts Against FGM - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[IPS] Mbabane -Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is still widely practised in the African country of Djibouti. Despite efforts by the government and development agencies to curb this practice, culture, tradition and religion continue to slow down progress.
- Thu - Mar 19, 2020: Djibouti Confirms First COVID-19 Case - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[East African] Djibouti on Wednesday recorded its first case of novel coronavirus Covid-19, the country's Ministry of Health announced.
- Tue - Mar 17, 2020: Djibouti's Shipping Company Acquires Second Vessel - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Addis Fortune] The two-year-old Djibouti National Shipping Company has acquired its second container ship through an investment of seven million dollars.
- Wed - Mar 11, 2020: Djibouti-Somalia-Kenya Submarine Cable Ready - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[East African] Kenya and Djibouti are now connected through the submarine cable Djibouti Africa Regional Express 1 (Dare1). The cable landed in Mombasa this week and is expected to boost connectivity in the Horn of Africa.