COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: DjiboutiGovernment: Republic
Current President: Ismael Omar Guelleh
Population: 811,000 (2014) –decline from 2011
Land Size: 23,200 sq km (8,950 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Feb 23, 2017: Ethiopia, Djibouti Elevate Ties With Infrastructural Connectivity - Premier - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Ethiopian Herald] Prime Minister Hailemariam Dessalegn said Ethiopia and Djibouti would expand joint infrastructural development activities that ensure mutual benefits.
- Fri - Feb 10, 2017: Middle Eastern Money, Religion Fuel Tensions in Horn - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[The Conversation Africa] Relations between the Horn of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula go back centuries, with trade playing a key component in binding their people together. Religion has also played a part. The expansion of Wahhabism - the interpretation of Islam propagated by Saudi Arabia - has been funded by the massive oil wealth of the kingdom.
- Thu - Feb 9, 2017: Investment Minister Welcomes Djiboutian Desire to Invest in Agricultural Sector - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[SNA] Khartoum -The Minister of Investment Mudathir Abdal-Ghani Abdal-Rahman stressed, in a meeting with the Djibouti Minister of Housing, Rehabilitation and Environment Musa Mohamed Ahmed, the importance of developing the economic cooperation through revitalization of the joint ministerial committee to accomplish the mutual interests of the two countries.
- Tue - Feb 7, 2017: Khatumo Leader in Djibouti for a Peace Deal - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Dalsan Radio] Khaatumo regional state leader Ali Khalif Galaydh is in Djibouti for talks with Somaliland over continued conflict between the two regions .
- Wed - Jan 25, 2017: New African Railways Ride on Chinese Loans - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[VOA] Earlier this month, the first train rumbled down the tracks of a $3.4 billion electric railway connecting landlocked Ethiopia with Djibouti and its access to the Red Sea. The 750-kilometer (466 miles) line, expected to carry up to five million tons of goods per year, promises to have a massive impact on the economies of both countries and the region at large.