COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: Djibouti City
Government: Dominant-Party Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Ismaïl Omar Guelleh
Population: 846,687 (2016)
Land Size: 23,200 sq km (8,950 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Jun 21, 2017: UN, AU Call for Restraint Along Eritrea-Djibouti Border - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[VOA] The U.N. Security Council is calling on Eritrea and Djibouti to peacefully resolve a land dispute along their border.
- Tue - Jun 20, 2017: UN Urges Djibouti and Eritrea to End Border Dispute - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Deutsche Welle] A years-long border dispute has erupted between the two African nations after Qatari forces withdrew from a buffer zone along the border. The UN has backed an African Union fact-finding mission concerning the dispute.
- Tue - Jun 20, 2017: Why Did Qatar Leave the Djibouti-Eritrea Border? - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Al Jazeera] The media has been quick to associate Qatar's decision to withdraw its peacekeeping forces from the disputed Djibouti-Eritrea border with the Gulf crisis. This connection was most likely made because Qatar's decision came only days after both Djibouti and Eritrea announced that they are siding with Saudi Arabia in the diplomatic rift and downgraded their diplomatic relations with Qatar.
- Mon - Jun 19, 2017: Al-Shabaab Attack SNA and Djibouti Bases in Bulaburte - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[Shabelle] Al shabaab militants have attacked military bases manned by Somali forces and their allied Djibouti peacekeepers on the outskirts of Bulaburte town in Hiiraan region on Sunday.
- Mon - Jun 19, 2017: Djibouti Plays the West Off Against the Far East - AllAfrica News: Djibouti
[ISS] China recently established a military base in Djibouti. Little is known about the base except that it may have capacity to house up to 10 000 troops. The military base has attracted much international attention, with little understanding of either Djibouti or China's motives.