COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Felix Tshisekedi
Population: 101,780,263 (2020)
Land Size: 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: UN Security Council Calls for 90 Days Ceasefire in Conflict Zones - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[East African] The United Nations Security Council has unanimously passed a resolution demanding an immediate 90 days' cessation of hostilities in conflict zones around the world due to the impact of the novel coronavirus.
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: Islamic Militants May Have Committed War Crimes. UN Says - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[VOA] A series of brutal attacks against Congolese civilians by Islamic militants are possible war crimes, United Nations monitors said Monday.
- Tue - Jul 7, 2020: Attacks By Armed Group May Amount to Crimes Against Humanity, War Crimes - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[OHCHR] Geneva / Kinshasa -- The ADF has been militarily active in Beni territory, in North Kivu province, for more than three decades. But following military campaigns against the armed group, particularly since October 2019, ADF combatants dispersed into small groups and some of these groups fled to other areas, especially to Irumu territory in neighbouring Ituri province, where the number and the intensity of the attacks have increased significantly.
- Fri - Jul 3, 2020: One Million People Displaced in DR Congo in 6 Months - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[DW] The UNHCR recorded events of killing, mutilation, sexual violence and looting in DR Congo in the last eight weeks. The African nation has one of the highest rates of internal displacement in the world.
- Fri - Jul 3, 2020: Kinshasa Vows Zero Tolerance Over Child Soldiers After U.S. Anti-Trafficking Nod - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) decries use of child solders by army and militias after upgrade in U.S. Trafficking in Persons (TIP) report