COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Felix Tshisekedi
Population: 101,780,263 (2020)
Land Size: 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: Another Cold Case in the Democratic Republic of Congo? - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[DW] The DRC is no stranger to violence and death. But when a foreign diplomat is killed, one expects swift answers. History tells us not to hold our breath when it comes to the DRC and the UN, writes Mimi Mefo Takambou.
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: Tshisekedi Banks on PM Lukonde for Smooth Leadership - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[East African] After his appointment by President Félix Tshisekedi on February 15, Prime Minister Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde began the fundamental work of constituting his government. He knows, however, he is now President Tshisekedi's new sail to steer his boat out of the rocky waters of coalition politics.
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: FDLR Blamed for Assassination of Italian Ambassador to DR Congo - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[New Times] The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo has blamed Rwandan militia based in the country's east for the attack on a UN convoy on Monday, February 22, in which an Italian Ambassador was killed.
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: UN to Review Deadly Convoy Attack in DR Congo Which Led to Italian Ambassador's Death - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[UN News] The World Food Programme (WFP) has provided further information on the deadly convoy attack in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) on Monday in which Italy's Ambassador to the country, his bodyguard, and a WFP driver were killed.
- Wed - Feb 24, 2021: Ugandan Rebels Deny Responsibility for Attack In Which Italian Envoy Died - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[DW] The Democtratic Republic of Congo has accused the FDLR rebels of killing the Italian ambassador to the country on Monday. But the rebels are shifting the blame to the armies of DR Congo and neighboring Rwanda.