COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Joseph Kabila
Population: 83,301,151 (2017)
Land Size: 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Kabila Shows His Hand in Electoral Poker - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[ICG] As election preparations in the Democratic Republic of Congo proceed, President Joseph Kabila has announced he will not run for re-election. He may hope this important move will relieve outside pressure for free and fair elections. International actors should keep up the scrutiny.
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Rebels Kill Dozens in Eastern DRC Conflict - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[CAJ News] Kinshasa -ARMED groups have killed at least 127 people in one of the most troubled regions in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) since the beginning of the year.
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Judges Close Reparations Proceedings in Bemba's War Crimes Trial - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Bemba Trial Website] Following Jean-Pierre Bemba's acquittal two months ago at the International Criminal Court (ICC), judges have closed the reparations proceedings in the case where the former vice president of the Democratic Republic of Congo was tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- Fri - Aug 17, 2018: Conflict Hampers Ebola Response - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Deutsche Welle] The number of suspected Ebola cases in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has risen to 73. The fact that it broke out in the middle of a conflict area has made responding to it more difficult.
- Thu - Aug 16, 2018: Armed Groups Hamper Fight Against Ebola - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[CAJ News] Kinshasa -THE prevalence of rebel groups is hindering efforts to stop the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).