COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Joseph Kabila
Population: 81,680,000 (2015)
Land Size: 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Mar 29, 2017: Bodies May Be Those of Disappeared UN Workers - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Al Jazeera] Three bodies - including those of a male and female Caucasian - have been found in Congo's Kasai-Central province, the government said on Tuesday, and are suspected to be those of UN staff who disappeared two weeks ago.
- Sun - Mar 26, 2017: Kamwina Nsapu Militia Kill 40 Policemen in DR Congo - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Al Jazeera] Rebel fighters have killed at least 40 policemen in the central Democratic Republic of Congo, in one of the deadliest attacks on security forces since a violent uprising began late last year.
- Sun - Mar 26, 2017: Scores of Policemen Decapitated in DRC - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Deutsche Welle] Forty-two police officers have been decapitated by a Congolese militia group after the officers' vehicles were ambushed. The country's Kasai region has seen seven months of severe violence amid local power struggles.
- Sat - Mar 25, 2017: No Word On Missing UN Team - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[HRW] Kinshasa -The Democratic Republic of Congo government should fully cooperate with United Nations efforts to locate a UN Group of Experts team that has been missing since March 12, 2017, in Kasai Central province, Human Rights Watch said today.
- Sat - Mar 25, 2017: ICC Orders DRC Warlord to Compensate Victims - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[RFI] In a first, the International Criminal Court has ordered the convicted warlord Germain Katanga to pay damages to his victims. The reparations are for 297 victims of an attack in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2003. An independent charity is expected to pay some of the money, as Katanga is penniless and without assets.