COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Joseph Kabila
Population: 83,301,151 (2017)
Land Size: 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Oct 19, 2018: Nobel Laureate Urges End to Impunity On Rape As Weapon of War - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Yaounde -Denis Mukwege founded the Panzi Hospital in 1999 to help women and girls who had been raped during the conflict in eastern Congo
- Fri - Oct 19, 2018: 80% of Schoolchildren Back at School in Ebola-Affected Areas - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Unicef] Kinshasa/Dakar/New York/Geneva -One month after the beginning of the school year, 80 per cent of school-aged children have returned to school in Beni and Mabalako health zones, the two epicentres of the current Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). More than half of these children are girls.
- Fri - Oct 19, 2018: DRC - 11,000-Megawatt Inga III Dam Project Deal Signed - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Cameroon Tribune] It is to be executed by Chinese and Spanish consortiums at the cost of 7,958 billion FCFA.
- Fri - Oct 19, 2018: Fears of Humanitarian Crisis Mount in Congo After Angola Expels Thousands - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[RFI] The Democratic Republic of Congo has threatened action over Angola's allegedly brutal expulsion of 40,000 of its citizens. The move is part of a crackdown on illegal diamond mining. Since 1 October, 200,000 Congolese migrants have returned home, an influx that could result in a humanitarian crisis.
- Fri - Oct 19, 2018: Tense Business Climate Amid Political Uncertainty - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Deutsche Welle] In the DRC, delayed elections have contributed to an economic slowdown and a tense business climate. DW's Sella Oneko was in Kinshasa to examine the effects of the political uncertainty on the business community.