COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Felix Tshisekedi
Population: 101,780,263 (2020)
Land Size: 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sun - Sep 20, 2020: Details On Monkey-Trafficking Scandal Emerge - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[The Herald] A syndicate of four individuals that smuggled 32 monkeys from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to South Africa, used fake papers to cross the first border into Zambia and then into Zimbabwe but their luck ran out when Zimbabwean immigration authorities at Chirundu decided to check with ZimParks, who investigated and found the documentation fake.
- Fri - Sep 18, 2020: Lumumba's Tooth and Toothless UN - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Vanguard] Patrice Lumumba, a postal worker, was 34 when he won election as Prime Minister to lead the Democratic Republic of Congo, DRC to its June 30, 1960 independence. He made a powerful speech at the independence celebrations denouncing the barbaric colonisation of the DRC which led to the massacre of 15 million Congolese.
- Fri - Sep 18, 2020: DRC - Another Journalist Arrested On Complaint By Sankuru Province Governor - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[RSF] Reporters Without Borders (RSF) joins its Congolese partner organization, Journalist in Danger (JED), in condemning the repeated and unacceptable harassment of journalists in Sankuru province, in the centre of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Wed - Sep 16, 2020: Lumumba's Remains Return Home to Find Rest At Last - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[New Frame] Sixty years after independent Congo's first prime minister, Patrice Lumumba, was murdered and dissolved in acid, his teeth, kept as a trophy in Belgium, will be returned to Africa.
- Wed - Sep 16, 2020: Beni - Local Communities Have Received Means and Equipment for Their Socio-Economic Recovery - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Monusco] "We received carpentry training in Mavivi as well as tools such as saws and planers which have been handed over to us today. I'm sure we're going to make a better use of them", said Muhindo Kiriki Siméon, a vulnerable young man from Mavivi, Beni, North Kivu.