COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Joseph Kabila
Population: 81,680,000 (2015)
Land Size: 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Sat - Apr 21, 2018: Displaced Congolese Face Being Returned to Harm's Way - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[HRW] Since mid-December, unidentified assailants have killed more than 260 people and burned thousands of homes in the Democratic Republic of Congo's northeastern Djugu territory in Ituri province. The atrocities we have documented include massacres, rapes, and decapitation. More than 200,000 people have fled their homes, many to neighboring Uganda.
- Sat - Apr 21, 2018: Bemba Seeks Access to Confidential ICC Records On His Financial Status - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Bemba Trial Website] Jean-Pierre Bemba is seeking to gain access to all confidential records related to his assets and financial status that are in the possession of the Registry of the International Criminal Court (ICC). The records were filed in the Congolese opposition leader's main trial in which he was convicted and handed an 18-year prison term. However, Melinda Taylor, who represents him in a separate trial over witness tampering, says these records are needed in preparing sentencing submissions.
- Fri - Apr 20, 2018: Government Concerns Over Management of Aid Funds - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Cameroon Tribune] Some 280 billion FCFA was recently raised in Geneva for emergency aid in the country.
- Thu - Apr 19, 2018: Malaria in Conflict Zones Threatens Global Progress Against the Disease - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -Africa accounts for about nine in ten deaths and cases, with more than a third concentrated in two countries - Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Thu - Apr 19, 2018: Hwange Colliery Eyes DR Congo, South Africa, Zambia Markets - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Financial Gazette] Struggling coal producer, Hwange Colliery Company Limited, is eyeing regional markets to widen its revenue streams and earn foreign currency.