COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Joseph Kabila
Population: 81,680,000 (2015)
Land Size: 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Jun 22, 2017: President Zuma to Host DRC President - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[SAnews.gov.za] Pretoria -President Jacob Zuma will on Sunday host the President of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Joseph Kabila Kabange, in Pretoria.
- Thu - Jun 22, 2017: DR Congo, South Sudan Youth Refugees Ask UN to End Conflicts - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Monitor] Kampala -As Uganda hosts the Solidarity Summit on Refugees tomorrow, DR Congo and South Sudan youth refugees have asked the United Nations (UN) to focus more on ending conflicts in their countries than raising money for refugees.
- Thu - Jun 22, 2017: Stigma Drives Former Girl Soldiers Back Into Militias - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -"It is better to die there than come home and be rejected"
- Thu - Jun 22, 2017: Is the Force Intervention Brigade Still Justifying Its Existence? - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[ISS] The Force Intervention Brigade (FIB), the sharp end of MONUSCO - the UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) - earned its stripes in 2013 when it helped the DRC's army defeat the powerful Rwanda-backed M23 rebels in the east of the country.
- Thu - Jun 22, 2017: 'Un Unable to Solve the Crisis in DRC' - AllAfrica News: Congo-Kinshasa
[Deutsche Welle] The UN accused Kabila's government of backing a militia that is killing innocent people in the troubled Kasai region. DR Congo expert Phil Clark of SOAS says the UN has limited leverage to change things on the ground.