COAT OF ARMS
Government: Republic; Multiparty Presidential Regime
Current President: Alassane Ouattara
Land Size: 332,462 sq km (124,503 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Mon - Feb 13, 2017: Six Journalists Arrested Over 'False News' On Mutiny - AllAfrica News: Cote d'Ivoire
[Al Jazeera] Six journalists, including three media owners, have been arrested in the Ivory Coast for "spreading false information" about a mutiny by security forces, their newspapers and the public prosecutor said.
- Mon - Feb 13, 2017: Six Journalists Detained Over Mutiny Reporting - AllAfrica News: Cote d'Ivoire
[Deutsche Welle] Editors and executives at independent and opposition media have been arrested for "spreading false information." Ivory Coast has been rocked by a series of strikes and mutinies by soldiers demanding backpay and bonuses.
- Thu - Feb 9, 2017: Nation Could Be 'Success Story' If Peacekeeping Gains Fully Backed, Security Council Told - AllAfrica News: Cote d'Ivoire
[UN News] Côte d'Ivoire is on the path to durable stability, the United Nations envoy for the country today told the Security Council, but warned that authorities need to invest more in national reconciliation and transitional justice, and to improve the economic, social and cultural rights of Ivoirians.
- Sat - Feb 4, 2017: Morocco Flexes Economic Muscle to Return to AU - AllAfrica News: Cote d'Ivoire
[Africa Renewal] "It is a beautiful day when one returns home after too long of an absence," King Mohammed VI of Morocco said after the North African country was readmitted to the African Union (AU) at its summit in January.
- Tue - Jan 31, 2017: Coach Dussuyer Can't Find Key to Success, Calls it Quits - AllAfrica News: Cote d'Ivoire
[allAfrica] Departing a dream job with the Ivory Coast has not proven easy for Michel Dussuyer but the Frenchman said he had quit to "preserve a more serene and peaceful climate without negative pressure on this young squad".