COAT OF ARMS
Government: Federal Presidential Republic
Current President: Azali Assoumani
Population: 808,080 (2017)
Land Size: 2,034 sq km (785 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Oct 17, 2018: Statement By the Chairperson of the Commission On the Situation in Comoros - AllAfrica News: Comoros
[African Union] Addis Ababa, 16 October 2018: The Chairperson of the African Union Commission, Moussa Faki Mahamat, deplores the suspension, since 2 October 2018, of the inter-Comorian dialogue, which began on 14 September 2018 under the facilitation of the African Union High Representative Ramtane Lamamra. He notes the deterioration of the political environment as a result of certain measures, particularly the lifting, on 3 October 2018, of the parliamentary immunity of three opposition members, some of whom were part of
- Wed - Oct 17, 2018: Street Clashes Over Presidential Term Extension - AllAfrica News: Comoros
[VOA] Protesters barricaded roads with tree trunks and clashed with soldiers in Comoros Monday as they demonstrated against President Azali Assoumani's attempt to extend term limits.
- Tue - Oct 16, 2018: Comoros Clambers Aboard SADC With Some Messy Baggage - AllAfrica News: Comoros
[ISS] The Southern African Development Community (SADC) inherited a world of trouble when it accepted the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) as a member in 1997. Now it seems to have taken on another problematic 'existing condition' by welcoming the Indian Ocean archipelago state of Comoros into its bosom as a full member - its 16th - in August this year.
- Tue - Oct 9, 2018: 'Where There Used to be So Much There is so Little' - the Challenge of Climate Change in the Comoros - AllAfrica News: Comoros
[UN] A UN climate change expert panel determined in a special reporton Monday that the world needs to move much faster and more dramatically, if global warming is to be contained to anything like the levels demanded by the 2015 Paris Agreement.
- Tue - Oct 9, 2018: 'Where There Was So Much, There Is So Little' - Comoros Battles Climate Change - AllAfrica News: Comoros
[UNEP] Farmers in the Comoros islands are learning, with the support of the UN, to adapt to dramatic shifts in the climate which have contributed to the deterioration of agriculture across the Indian Ocean archipelago. Increasingly unpredictable weather patterns including a severe decrease in rainfall have led to soil erosion and widespread deforestation as well as decreased crop yields. A UN climate change expert panel determined in a special report on Monday that the world needs to move much faster and more dra