COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: N’DjamenaGovernment:Dominant Party Presidential Republic RepublicCurrent President: Idriss DébyEconomy:
Population: 13,670,084 (2015)
Land Size: 1.28 million sq km (495,800 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Sep 21, 2017: Al Bashir in Darfur - Sudan-Chad Border 'A Model of Security' - AllAfrica News: Chad
[Radio Dabanga] El Geneina / Foro Baranga -Sudan's President Omar Al Bashir says that the border between Sudan and Chad is no longer a conduit for illegal weapons, stolen vehicles, and armed rebel groups, but "a model for establishing security" thanks to the joint Sudan-Chad border force.
- Wed - Sep 20, 2017: Fights Over Water Worsening Lake Chad Conflict - AllAfrica News: Chad
[CAJ News] Maiduguri -REPEATED conflicts among nationals of different countries over control of the remaining water in the drying Lake Chad are worsening insecurity in the terror-prone region.
- Thu - Sep 14, 2017: Stronger Peacebuilding Efforts Needed to Tackle Boko Haram - AllAfrica News: Chad
[UN News] While the efforts of the Governments in Africa's Lake Chad Basin have diminished Boko Haram's combat capacity in the region, the terrorist group has changed its tactics, increasing the use of suicide attacks, the top United Nations political official reported to the Security Council today.
- Sun - Sep 10, 2017: In Backing Chad, the West Faces Moral Hazards - AllAfrica News: Chad
[ICG] The West sees Chad as a reliable ally in the fight against extremists in the African Sahel. But it needs to take more care. Chad is breaking prior agreements by spending much of its oil revenue on the military, while social services and good governance have suffered.
- Sun - Sep 10, 2017: Khartoum Denies Closing Libya, Chad, South Sudan Borders - AllAfrica News: Chad
[Radio Dabanga] Khartoum -The Sudanese Minister of Foreign Affairs has denied reports about the closure of the borders with three neighbouring countries.