COAT OF ARMS
Government: Dominant Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Idriss Déby
Population: 12,075,985 (2017)
Land Size: 1.28 million sq km (495,800 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Feb 15, 2019: Rebel Incursion Exposes Chad's Weaknesses - AllAfrica News: Chad
[ICG] An early February incursion by the Union of Resistance Forces (UFR) into Chad from Libya was halted by French air strikes, conducted in coordination with the Chadian army. This most severe security threat for several years highlights the weakness of the country and President Idriss Déby's rule.
- Fri - Feb 15, 2019: What's the French Army Doing in Chad? - AllAfrica News: Chad
[African Arguments] France has propped up regimes in Chad for decades. But it used to be much more discreet about it.
- Wed - Feb 13, 2019: Outcome of Vice - President's Visit to Chad Assessed - AllAfrica News: Chad
[SNA] Khartoum -Vice-President of the Republic, Dr Osman Mohamed Yousif Kibir, chaired at the Republican Palace Tuesday a meeting for assessment of the recent visit he paid to Chad and arrangements for following up works of the joint ministerial committees between the two countries.
- Mon - Feb 11, 2019: French Airstrikes Affirm Support for President Déby - AllAfrica News: Chad
[VOA] When French fighter jets bombarded 40 pickup trucks of suspected insurgents last week in Chad, the former colonial power signaled an unprecedented willingness to engage openly in joint military operations in Northern Africa.
- Sun - Feb 10, 2019: Army Captures Hundreds of Rebels After French Airstrikes - AllAfrica News: Chad
[Deutsche Welle] French and Chadian airstrikes have allowed the Chadian army to take some 250 rebels into custody. The rebel group had been making its way into Chad from Libya in a convoy of about 50 vehicles.