COAT OF ARMS
Government: Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Faustin-Archange Touadéra
Population: 4,709,000 (2014)
Land Size: 622,984 sq km (240,535 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Nov 22, 2017: MSF Suspends Relief Activities Following Attack in Bangassou - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[MSF] Bangui -Following a violent armed robbery on Monday 20 November that threatened the lives of its workers, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has evacuated all 58 national and international staff, and suspended medical operations from Bangassou, a town in southeastern Central African Republic. The town is largely under the control of various armed groups affiliated to the anti-Balaka factions.
- Fri - Nov 17, 2017: Peace Requires More Than a Bigger UN Force - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[ICG] The U.N. Security Coucil approved a resolution to extend the mandate of the U.N. Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) until 15 November 2018, also increasing the mission's troop ceiling by 900. Richard Moncrieff, Project Director for Central Africa, states that the Central African Republic needs more than just troops to meet the country's security challenges.
- Fri - Nov 17, 2017: Dozens of Minors Rescued From Rebel Groups - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[CAJ News] Kinshasa -MORE than 60 children have been rescued from armed groups in the war-torn Central African Republic (CAR). The 28 girls and 35 boys have been handed over to humanitarian actor for their social reintegration in the northern Kaga-Bandoro province. The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs and UN Mission in CAR, which secured the release of the minors however, the persistence of high activism by armed groups means that the risk of enlisting children remains high in the area. Milita
- Thu - Nov 16, 2017: UN Mission Mandate Extended, Additional 'Blue Helmets' Authorized - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[UN News] The United Nations Security Council on Wednesday extended the mandate of the Organization's peacekeeping mission in the Central African Republic (CAR), until 15 November 2018, increased the mission's troop level by 900 military personnel.
- Tue - Nov 14, 2017: IFC Helping the Central African Republic Attract Investment to Key Sectors - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[PR Newswire] Bangui -IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is supporting private sector growth in the Central African Republic, helping the country attract fresh investment in key sectors that will create jobs and opportunities.