COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: BanguiGovernment: Republic
Current President:Catherine Samba-Panza
Population: 5,277,000 (2014)
Land Size: 622,984 sq km (240,535 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: Ex-Leaders Blamed for Rebels' Coup in Car - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[CAJ News] Kinshasa -FORMER elected and self-imposed presidents have been blamed for the crisis in Central African Republic where 14 separate armed groups have taken control of the country. This has rendered the government of President Faustin-Archange Touadéra futile. At least 287 civilians have been killed in the last few weeks.
- Fri - Feb 17, 2017: Rival Rebel Groups Kill CAR Civilians - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[CAJ News] Kinshasa -TENSIONS between rebel groups in the troubled Central African Republic have left scores dead in recent days. Rights groups confirmed rebels from the Union for Peace in the Central African Republic (UPC), recently executed 25 people in Bakala after calling them to a school for an allegedmeeting.
- Thu - Feb 16, 2017: Executions by Rebel Group - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[HRW] Nairobi -A rebel group in the Central African Republic executed at least 32 civilians and captured fighters after clashes in December 2016 with another rebel group in the Ouaka province.
- Mon - Feb 13, 2017: UN Helicopter Kills Four Militants in CAR - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Deutsche Welle] A UN helicopter fired upon militants advancing into the town of Bambari in the Central African Republic. MINUSCA troops said that the militants had crossed a "red line."
- Mon - Feb 13, 2017: Closure of Conflict Camps Tests Reconciliation - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[IRIN] Bangui -Etienne Guinot picks up a blue plastic bag, pulls out a dead snake, and holds it up in the air. "If it bites, it will kill you," he warns, rubbing its rough, spotted skin between his fingers.