COAT OF ARMS
Government: Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Faustin-Archange Touadéra
Population: 5,625,118 (2017)
Land Size: 622,984 sq km (240,535 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Jun 22, 2018: Rebels Violate Over 50 Civilians - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[CAJ News] Bangui -ARMED groups and state security personnel have committed at least 35 incidents of human rights violations against citizens in the Central African Republic (CAR) over the past week. Some 53 victims suffered the violations.
- Tue - Jun 19, 2018: Bemba in Belgium After Release From ICC Detention - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Bemba Trial Website] Jean-Pierre Bemba, the Congolese opposition leader freed from International Criminal Court (ICC) detention last Friday, was released to Belgium, whose government did not object to his presence in the country.
- Fri - Jun 15, 2018: Bemba's Day in Court and Another Blow for the ICC - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[African Arguments] In what was arguably the highest-profile conviction in the International Criminal Court's history, the Congolese rebel-turned-politician had been found guilty of crimes against humanity and war crimes and sentenced to 18 years in prison. The charges stemmed from atrocities, including rape and murder, committed by troops under his command in the Central African Republic in 2002 and 2003.
- Fri - Jun 15, 2018: Widows - 'I Was Kicked Out of Our House By His Parents' - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Bhekisisa] If a man dies in the Central African Republic, his wife is at risk of being evicted from their home by his relatives.
- Fri - Jun 15, 2018: African Nations Pledge to Use Trade to Reduce Poverty - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[allAfrica] Geneva -Gambia's Vice President and Minister for Women's Affairs, Fatoumata Jallow-Tambajang, says trade has been a strategic tool for reducing poverty and has delivered incredible gains for the world economy, but it needs to be more fully optimized.