COAT OF ARMS
Government: Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Faustin-Archange Touadéra
Population: 4,709,000 (2014)
Land Size: 622,984 sq km (240,535 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Tue - May 23, 2017: Ugandan Army Hands Over LRA Area to CAR Forces - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Monitor] Obo -The Ugandan troops in the Central African Republic (CAR) have formally handed over the security in the country's east to its army at a function held in Obo, some 1,200km east of the capital Bangui.
- Mon - May 22, 2017: Ugandan Army Calls for Deployment of Interim Force Central African Republic - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Monitor] The Uganda Peoples Defence Forces has demanded the immediate deployment of an interim force to take over from the areas it has been occupying in the jungles of the Central African Republic to further weaken and defeat the remnants of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) rebels.
- Mon - May 22, 2017: Ugandan Student Arrested Over 'Kony Letter' - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Monitor] Pallisa -Police in Pallisa District have arrested a student of St Paul Secondary School over allegations that he was found in possession of a letter purported to have been written by the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) commander, Joseph Kony, warning of more atrocities.
- Mon - May 22, 2017: Five Months in Central Africa Republic Jungle Hiding From Lord Resistance Army - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Monitor] Wild ululation engulfed Gulu Airfield recently. Mary Apio received her son Julius Obira, 25, who escaped from the Lord Resistance Army (LRA) after 14 years in captivity.
- Sat - May 20, 2017: Rebel Schism Drives Alarming Upsurge of Violence - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[IRIN] Goumba -On both sides of the rutted, 200-kilometre dirt road that runs from Bria to Bambari in Central African Republic, villages lie empty and desolate. Cramped mud huts with thatched roofs have been reduced to ashes and rubble. Everything of value has been looted.