COAT OF ARMS
Government: Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Faustin-Archange Touadéra
Population: 4,709,000 (2014)
Land Size: 622,984 sq km (240,535 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Sep 21, 2017: Rising Violence Uproots Record 1.1 Million - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -A surge in militia fighting in several hotspots since May has driven the number of people seeking refuge in neighbouring nations
- Mon - Sep 18, 2017: UN Decorates 430 Rwandan Police Peacekeepers in CAR - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[New Times] The United Nations has awarded medal of service excellence to 430 Rwandan Police peacekeepers serving under the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA).
- Sun - Sep 17, 2017: UN Seeks More Peacekeeping Troops for CAR As Violence Surges - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Deutsche Welle] Officials say the situation has been deteriorating in the southeast of the country since US special forces withdrew. They were hunting for war crimes suspect Joseph Kony who heads the violent Lord's Resistance Army.
- Sat - Sep 16, 2017: NGO Highlights Problems With Sex Abuse Probe - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -The United Nations said on Thursday it was looking into allegations that complaints of sexual abuse and exploitation made against its peacekeepers in the conflict-torn Central African Republic were mishandled or unreported.
- Fri - Sep 15, 2017: Cardinal Dieudonne Nzapalainga - Religion Is Misused in Central African Republic Conflict - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Deutsche Welle] As the situation in the Central African Republic deteriorates, Archbishop Nzapalainga says the conflict isn't between Muslims and Christians. Rather faith is being manipulated in the struggle for power.