COAT OF ARMS
Government: Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Faustin-Archange Touadéra
Population: 5,745,062 (2018)
Land Size: 622,984 sq km (240,535 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Apr 7, 2020: Rwanda Takes COVID-19 Screening to Central African Republic - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[New Times] The Central African Republic has commended Rwanda's recent effort to combat the new coronavirus pandemic, following a screening for the virus conducted by the latter on peacekeepers, and later extended to residents.
- Fri - Mar 27, 2020: Vocational training brings hope of a better future to former child soldiers - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Plan International] The Central African Republic (CAR) has been called the most dangerous place in the world for children. Sectarian violence has ripped the country apart, killing tens of thousands of people and driving more than a million from their homes. Some 1.5 million children now require humanitarian assistance.
- Fri - Mar 20, 2020: UN Official Applauds Move to Prevent Child Recruitment - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[UN News] A senior United Nations official has welcomed the move by lawmakers in the Central African Republic (CAR) to criminalize child recruitment.
- Tue - Mar 17, 2020: UN Peacekeeper Killed, Mission Deplores 'Heinous Act' - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[UN News] A United Nations peacekeeper from Burundi was killed on Sunday while attempting to stop an armed militant attack in the Central African Republic (CAR), according to a statement released by the UN Mission in the country, MINUSCA.
- Sun - Mar 15, 2020: In Search of the State in the Central African Republic - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[ICG] A February 2019 agreement is the latest in a string of attempts to bring peace to the Central African Republic. Will it hold? Crisis Group expert Hans de Marie Heungoup goes to the country to find out, along with photographer Julie David de Lossy.