COAT OF ARMS
Government: Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Faustin-Archange Touadéra
Population: 5,745,062 (2018)
Land Size: 622,984 sq km (240,535 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Dec 3, 2019: UN High Commissioner for Refugees Starts Visit to Central African Republic, Welcoming Home Refugees - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[UNHCR] The UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, kicked off a three-day visit to the Central African Republic by welcoming 200 refugees newly returned from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Sat - Nov 30, 2019: How Delays and Disbelief Let Down Sex Abuse Victims - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[The New Humanitarian] Barcelona -'The UN cannot effectively fight sexual abuse if it doesn't take the victim's side. When the life of a person is at stake, the UN should be the prosecutor, not the judge.'
- Tue - Nov 26, 2019: Over 300 Children Killed in Conflict - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[CAJ News] Bangui -GOVERNMENT forces and rebel groups have forcibly recruited some 473 children as soldiers despite the signing of a peace agreement in the Central African Republic (CAR) earlier this year.
- Mon - Nov 25, 2019: All Eyes On AU Observer Missions As Burundi, Tanzania, CAR Prepare for Elections in 2020 - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[East African] African Union Election observers have long received scathing attacks from opposition parties for doing little to promote democracy on the continent and for producing election reports late.
- Tue - Nov 19, 2019: Peacekeeping Mandate Renewed As Attacks Continue - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[HRW] Nairobi -The peacekeeping force in the Central African Republic, whose mandate the United Nations Security Council renewed on November 14, 2019, should strengthen civilian protection and maximize its role in securing justice. The peacekeeping mission, known as MINUSCA, should work with the country's special court for grave crimes committed by armed groups to identify how it can best fulfil its mandate to support the court.