COAT OF ARMS
Government: Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Faustin-Archange Touadéra
Population: 5,625,118 (2017)
Land Size: 622,984 sq km (240,535 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Aug 16, 2018: Changing Security Landscape - a Catalyst for UN Policy Change? - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Atlantic Council] Amid strong pressure from the Trump Administration, the United Nations (UN) voted at the end of June to cut over $600 million from its peacekeeping budget. The majority of these cuts are set to come from key operations in Sub-Saharan Africa, including the UN's mission in the Central African Republic (CAR), known by its French acronym MINUSCA, which was originally authorized in April 2014.
- Thu - Aug 16, 2018: Judges Close Reparations Proceedings in Bemba's War Crimes Trial - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Bemba Trial Website] Following Jean-Pierre Bemba's acquittal two months ago at the International Criminal Court (ICC), judges have closed the reparations proceedings in the case where the former vice president of the Democratic Republic of Congo was tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- Fri - Aug 10, 2018: Six Aid Workers Killed in Car - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[CAJ News] Bangui -AT least six humanitarian workers have been killed following attacks by armed groups in the Central African Republic (CAR) this year.
- Tue - Aug 7, 2018: Film Shows Art of Survival in Central Africa Airport's 'Tent City' - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Yaounde -Tens of thousands of people who fled murderous gangs and set up their own "tent city" inside Central African Republic's main airport are the unlikely stars of an award-winning new film.
- Mon - Aug 6, 2018: Killing of 3 Russian Investigative Journalists in Central African Republic Must Be Probed - AllAfrica News: Central African Republic
[CPJ] New York -The Committee to Protect Journalists today called on the Central African Republic, Russia, and the U.N. to investigate the deaths of three Russian journalists killed while on assignment in CAR.