COAT OF ARMS
*The group of islands was named Cabo Verde, meaning Green Cape, by the Portuguese in 1444. As time passed, the name was anglicized to Cape Verde. Since 2013, the government decided that the Portuguese Cabo Verde would henceforth be used for official purposes, and requests that the rest of the world respects this name change.
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Jorge Carlos Fonseca
Population: 583,255 (2020)
Land Size: 4,033 sq km (1,557 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Nov 30, 2021: Cabo Verde Vaccinates 40 Percent of Population, Reaches Second Global Target - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[WHO-AFRO] Praia -- Cabo Verde has fully vaccinated more than 40% of its population against COVID-19, reaching the end-of-year World Health Organization (WHO) global target aimed at widening vaccination and helping to turn the tide against the pandemic.
- Thu - Nov 25, 2021: Cabinet Council Approves Mobility in CPLP - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[ANGOP] Luanda -- The Angolan government approved, on Wednesday, the Agreement on Mobility among the Member States of the Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries (CPLP), signed last July, in Luanda, during the XIII Summit of Heads of State and Government of the organization.
- Wed - Nov 24, 2021: Cape Verde Coach Confident of Good Performances for Fiba World Cup - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[ANGOP] Luanda -- The national coach of Cape Verde basketball team the Angolan Emanuel Trovoada said Monday in Luanda, he is confident the team will have good performances in the 2022 FIBA Basketball World Cup first qualifying stage.
- Wed - Nov 17, 2021: Super Eagles Book World Cup Play-Off Spot After Nervy Cape Verde Draw - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[Vanguard] The Super Eagles of Nigeria have booked a World Cup play-off spot after playing out a 1-1 draw with Cape Verde at the Teslim Balogun Stadium on Tuesday.
- Wed - Nov 17, 2021: Nigeria 1-1 Cape Verde: Eagles Survive Sharks' Threat, Into Last Round of Qualifiers - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[Premium Times] Osimhen scored in the first minute and the Eagles created enough scoring chances in the first half to have won