COAT OF ARMS
*The group of islands was named Cabo Verde, meaning Green Cape, by the Portuguese in 1444. As time passed, the name was anglicized to Cape Verde. Since 2013, the government decided that the Portuguese Cabo Verde would henceforth be used for official purposes, and requests that the rest of the world respects this name change.
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Jorge Carlos Fonseca
Population: 583,255 (2020)
Land Size: 4,033 sq km (1,557 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Apr 14, 2021: Twitter Suspends Nigerian Accounts in Cape Verde Row Over Envoy - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[East African] Twitter has suspended the accounts of a number of Nigerian influencers who have been accused by the US government of having orchestrated the deadly October 2020 protests against police.
- Thu - Apr 8, 2021: Nigerian Tourist 'Unjustly' Barred From Cape Verde Demands Justice - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[Premium Times] The Nigerian faults the claim by Cape Verde authorities on her treatment.
- Tue - Apr 6, 2021: Qatar 2022 World Cup - 'Cape Verde, Liberia, CAR Can't Stop Super Eagles' - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[Leadership] Former Nigerian striker Jonathan Akpoborie believed Super Eagles have the firepower to overcome Cape Verde, Liberia, and Central African Republic (CAR) for the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
- Mon - Apr 5, 2021: Cup of Nations Football Fest Set for Early 2022 - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[RFI] African football bosses on Thursday announced the dates for the next African Cup of Nations tournament.
- Mon - Apr 5, 2021: Authorities Allegedly Deny Entry to Nigerians While Allowing Western Travellers - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[Premium Times] A Twitter user in South Africa, Khrist, said she had similar experience when she travelled to Cape Verde.