COAT OF ARMS
*The group of islands was named Cabo Verde, meaning Green Cape, by the Portuguese in 1444. As time passed, the name was anglicized to Cape Verde. Since 2013, the government decided that the Portuguese Cabo Verde would henceforth be used for official purposes, and requests that the rest of the world respects this name change.
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Jorge Carlos Fonseca
Population: 525,000 (2015)
Land Size: 4,033 sq km (1,557 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Jun 22, 2017: U.S. Based Group Predicts Fraud in October Elections, If... - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[New Dawn] Emancipation Movement of Liberia or EMOL, a Liberian peace building advocacy organization based in the United States of America is expressing serious apprehension over the decision by the National Elections Commission (NEC) to allow non-listed individuals on the official voter's roster to vote in the October's Presidential and Legislative elections, saying this could be a recipe for fraud, uncertainty, and the resurrection of conflict here.
- Thu - Jun 15, 2017: Lawmaker Wants China Union Summoned - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[New Dawn] Bong County district #7 Representative Corpu Barclay, is calling on the House of Representatives to summon China Union on matters affecting former employees of the mining company.
- Thu - Jun 15, 2017: Perfect Start - Cranes' Triumph Over Cape Verde - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[Observer] It will not be until March 2018 that The Cranes will resume their quest for a berth at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) finals, when they host Tanzania. But in the meantime, they will enjoy the break after taking early control of group L, reports JOHN VIANNEY NSIMBE.
- Thu - Jun 15, 2017: Junkies Surprised By Cranes Win Away to Cape Verde Islands - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[Observer] After going to what had been presumed the hardest fixture of group L and picking up a win there, the Uganda Cranes feat against Cape Verde last Sunday on the opening weekend of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, left the locker-room in shock...
- Thu - Jun 15, 2017: Afcon 2019 - Key Inferences From Praia - AllAfrica News: Cape Verde
[Monitor] Kampala -Is it just me that wasn't caught off guard by Uganda Cranes' 1-0 win over Cape Verde?