COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Dominant-Party Presidential Republic
Current President: Paul Biya
Population: 23,135,000 (2014)
Land Size: 475,442 sq km (183,568 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Sat - Mar 25, 2017: Eyes in Sky and On Ground Are Helping Forest Conservation - AllAfrica News: Cameroon
[The Conversation Africa] The highland rainforests of South West Cameroon are among the oldest forests on the continent. They comprise the richest flora and fauna in continental tropical Africa. The area is one of the world's most important biodiversity hotspots. The region encompasses high levels of unique, as well as endangered species. These include the Cross River gorilla, Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzees and forest elephants.
- Sat - Mar 25, 2017: Transparency International Is Concerned At Crackdown On Free Speech in Cameroon - AllAfrica News: Cameroon
[PR Newswire] Berlin -Transparency International, the global anti-corruption movement, expressed concern about the government's recent crackdown on civil society in Cameroon and the police summons received by its former vice-chair and current chair of the International Anti-Corruption Conference series, Akere Muna, who has been an outspoken critic of the government's actions.
- Fri - Mar 24, 2017: Colonial Solutions to the Anglophone Problem Misguided - AllAfrica News: Cameroon
[allAfrica] The so called Anglophone problem in Cameroon is proving to be the biggest challenge to President Paul Biya's 34 years in power. The government is battling with with the use of colonial strategies to counter modern-day civil uprisings. The usual use of force and psychological torture is proving inadequate. Something that needs to be understood is that the struggle is against a dictatorship.
- Fri - Mar 24, 2017: Anglophone Leaders Refuse to Be Tried With 25 Other Suspects - AllAfrica News: Cameroon
[VOA] Schools have remained closed and business paralyzed in the English-speaking northwest and southwest regions of Cameroon, as the strike initiated by teachers and lawyers against what they call the overbearing use of French enters its fifth month.
- Fri - Mar 24, 2017: Focus On Cameroon in Boko Haram's Latest Propaganda Video, Analysis - AllAfrica News: Cameroon
[RFI] The latest video from hardline Islamist group Boko Haram has a specific focus on the militants' operations in Cameroon, according to an expert on Boko Haram's use of the media. Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau appeared in a video obtained by news agencies last week and spoke for about 20 minutes criticising regional leaders. Shekau said he was in good health, contrary to claims he may be injured. The Nigerian government last year claimed it had flushed out fighters from its Sambisa Forest stronghold in no