COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: BujumburaGovernment: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,178,921 (2015)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Apr 28, 2017: Malaria Still an Epidemic in Burundi - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] The situation of malaria still calls for more control actions a month after the disease was declared an epidemic on 13 March by the Ministry of public Health.
- Fri - Apr 28, 2017: No Media Freedom in Burundi, Reporters Without Borders Says - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] Reporters without Borders (RSF) ranks Burundi the 160th out of 180 countries in the 2017 World Press Freedom Index. RSF says the country was the 156th in 2016. It is ranked behind all the East African Community countries.
- Fri - Apr 28, 2017: Fuel Shortage Far From Being Worked Out in Burundi - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] Long queues of cars, motorcycles and people who have cans, wait for hours at the few stations that are open. City oil and Kingstar stations from the southern to northern neighborhoods in the capital Bujumbura are providing fuel. "I have spent four days looking for fuel but in vain", says a taxi-driver. He also says he and his family will die of hunger if nothing is done. "I cannot afford food for my family if the shortage of fuel persists", says another driver met at Kinindo City Oil station in southern Bu
- Thu - Apr 27, 2017: EAC Secretariat Remains Impartial On Burundi - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[East African] The East African Community Secretariat has noted with concern an opinion article titled, Mfumukeko and EAC Summit have failed the test of impartiality on Burundi crisis, published in the April 22 -28, 2017 edition of The EastAfrican newspaper.
- Thu - Apr 27, 2017: Call for Defining Role of Parties in Burundi Talks Process - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Citizen] Arusha -East African Community (EAC) Secretary-General Liberat Mfumukeko says all parties involved in the Burundi peace process should have a clearly defined role.