COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: BujumburaGovernment: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,178,921 (2015)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Sep 22, 2017: La Niña in Observation Phase During Rainy Season - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] The Ministry of Environment, Water and Urban territory has announced that the rainfall will be low for this agricultural season (from October to December).
- Thu - Sep 21, 2017: Foreign Affairs Ministry Committed to Eradicating SGBV - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has conducted an outreach session on a special law on gender based violence this September 20th in Mukaza commune.
- Thu - Sep 21, 2017: Burundian Refugees Continue to Return - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] Around five hundred Burundians from Nduta refugee camp in Tanzania have been received by Burundi Government this 19 September. They will spend 48 hours in Gitara transit center in Mabanda Commune of Makamba province before going back to their native localities.
- Wed - Sep 20, 2017: Communication Can Save or Endanger Community - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] The Ombudsman office in partnership with UNFPA has organized a workshop in Kirundo province this 19 September 2017. Participants were youth from different political parties and the focus was on non-violent communication, gender-based violence prevention and mutual respect.
- Wed - Sep 20, 2017: Govt Under UN Human Rights Scrutiny - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] The Commission of Inquiry presents its final report to the Human Rights Council during an interactive dialogue on Burundi this 19 September, in Geneva at its 36th session. Burundi government still rejects the report of the UN commission.