COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,844,520 (2018)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Aug 21, 2019: Kenya, Burundi Draw in Cecafa U15 - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Capital FM] Nairobi -The Kenya football Under-15 team settled for a 1-1 draw against Burundi in their third Group A match in the ongoing CECAFA Under-15 Championships in Asmara, Eritrea.
- Mon - Aug 19, 2019: Not Waiting for Handouts: Five Stories of Resilience From One of The World's Largest Refugee Camps - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[UN] Today there are more than 70 million people around the world who have been forced from their homes. As crises get more prolonged, the only home that entire generations know, are refugee camps. The average length of displacement is rising, estimated at 26 years, and as of 2018, 78 per cent of all refugees were in protracted refugee situations. The stories we hear about them often show us their unsurmountable challenges, but life in the camps is more than scrambling for food and waiting for a better fut
- Thu - Aug 15, 2019: Govt Launches Ebola Vaccination Campaign for Health and Front-Line Workers - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[WHO] On 13th August, the Ministry of Public Health and AIDS Control kicked off the vaccination campaign for front-line staff against the Ebola virus disease. The campaign started at the Gatumba entry point at the Border with the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Wed - Aug 14, 2019: YouTube Child Star's Death Spotlights Malaria Epidemic - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Thomson Reuters Foundation] Nairobi -Malaria, spread when female mosquitoes bite humans, kills almost half a million people each year, with 90% of deaths in Africa
- Tue - Aug 13, 2019: 15 Years On, No Justice for Gatumba Massacre - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[HRW] Goma -Victims of an armed attack on a refugee camp in Burundi and their families are still waiting for justice and compensation 15 years later. The attack on the Gatumba refugee camp in Burundi killed more than 150 Congolese civilians and wounded another 106.