COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: BujumburaGovernment: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,178,921 (2015)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Mar 24, 2017: Bicycle Taxi Riders Say License Plate Issue Creates Confusion - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] Bicycle-taxi users in Bujumbura city say they are confused by people who call themselves members of Solidarity of Bicycle Taxi of Burundi [SOTAVEBU] and impose fines on bicycle taxi users without license plates. The Transport Minister had suspended the measure to purchase them.
- Fri - Mar 24, 2017: Bujumbura Residents Survive Fierce Wind, but Left With No Shelter - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] The affected residents, who say they are currently sheltered by their neighbours and families, ask for help to rebuild their homes.
- Fri - Mar 24, 2017: Food Industry Needs to Be Supported - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] Development Action and Regional Integration-ADIR Burundi has organized this 23 March a meeting with all stakeholders in the development of the agro-business. The climate and trade aspects of food security in Burundi as well as the promotion of food industry were the main focus in the meeting.
- Wed - Mar 22, 2017: AfDB Pledges More Support for Bujumbura's Integration Efforts - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[East African] Even as Burundi continues to distance itself from the East African Community, the African Development Bank has said it will still support the country's development projects that promote integration.
- Wed - Mar 22, 2017: Conflicts Within UPD Zigamibanga Over Leadership - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] The UPD Zigamibanga party organized a national congress to elect the new chairman, two years after the death of the leader of this party Zedi Feruzi. These elections led to conflicts between the members of this party.