COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,178,921 (2015)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Apr 19, 2018: UNHCR Offers to Lead Rwanda, Burundi Dialogue on Refugees - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[East African] The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has offered to lead dialogue between Rwanda and Burundi on the refugee situation.
- Tue - Apr 17, 2018: Repression Linked to Presidential-Term Vote - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[HRW] Burundi government forces and ruling party members have killed, beaten, and intimidated perceived opponents of a constitutional referendum set for a May 17, 2018 vote that would enable the president to extend his term in office, Human Rights Watch said today. The abuse reflects the widespread impunity for local authorities, the police, and members of the ruling party's youth league, the Imbonerakure.
- Mon - Apr 16, 2018: 'National Human Rights Commission's Critical Work Has Ended' - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[HRW] Expectations and optimism were high when Burundi's National Independent Human Rights Commission, the CNIDH, was established in 2011. It showed promising signs of independence and had the potential to assume some of the risks taken by local human rights organizations.
- Mon - Apr 16, 2018: Burundi Flag at Full Mast Despite Genocide Memorial - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[East African] The uneasy relationship between Rwanda and Burundi seemed to be amplified during the commemoration week of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsis, when the Burundian embassy in Kigali failed to fly its flag at half-mast on the morning of April 7.
- Wed - Apr 11, 2018: Rwanda Bans Trade in Livestock, Meat From Burundi Over Goat Plague - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[East African] Rwanda has banned the movement and trade in livestock and their products from Burundi due to fears of spreading goat plague, which broke out in the country early this year.