COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Évariste Ndayishimiye
Population: 11,865,821 (2020)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sun - Sep 20, 2020: Thank You Tanzania-Ndayishimiye - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Daily News] BURUNDI President, Evariste Ndayishimiye yesterday arrived in Kigoma, Tanzania for his maiden state visit, delivering an emotional speech, thanking Tanzania for its contribution to the peace process in his nation.
- Sun - Sep 20, 2020: Dar, Bujumbura Eye Greater Economic Ties - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Daily News] TANZANIA and Burundi have committed to deepen and strengthen economic ties through expanded trade and investment, with a goal of achieving decent livelihoods in both countries.
- Fri - Sep 18, 2020: Human Rights Violations Continue Under New Govt - UN Report - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[UN News] UN-appointed investigators have issued fresh warnings about ongoing rights violations and impunity in Burundi, since the death of former President Pierre Nkurunziza, who ran for a third term in 2015, in a move deemed by opposition to be unconstitutional.
- Thu - Sep 17, 2020: New Government, but No Progress in Sight On the Human Rights Front - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[United Nations Human Rights Council] Following the 2020 presidential, legislative and local elections, the fifteen-year presidency of Pierre Nkurunziza came to a close and a new era under President Évariste Ndayishimiye began. The resulting new policy shifts, appointments, and public statements by the new Government show more cause for concern and warning than promise.
- Tue - Sep 15, 2020: Sumaili Hopes to Positively Influence Burundi Women's Football - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[CAF] Twice, Burundian international Falone Sumaili had made the decision to quit her football career; first, following the demise of her mother and second, when she got a career threatening injury, followed by another loss in the family, her sister.