COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: BujumburaGovernment: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,178,921 (2015)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - Jun 21, 2017: Media Houses Must Comply With CNC Specifications By 31 July - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] "All the media houses whose specifications have not been updated and signed at the National Communication Council [CNC] are requested to update them without delay. Otherwise, they will be considered as irregular", says Aimée Divine Niyokwizigirwa, deputy chairperson of and spokesperson for CNC.
- Wed - Jun 21, 2017: Refugees Need Help - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] The World Refugee Day which is celebrated every 20th of June occurs when 413.350 Burundian have taken refuge in different countries. They call for assistance.
- Wed - Jun 21, 2017: Senior UN Official Urges Steps Towards Political Dialogue Amid Ongoing Fragility - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[UN News] Amid Burundi's "fragile" security situation, marked by recent grenade attacks in the capital, Bujumbura, a senior United Nations political official told the Security Council today that regional actors and international partners must press for confidence-building measures that would be conducive for holding an inclusive and credible political dialogue in the country.
- Wed - Jun 21, 2017: Good Governance Can Solve Political Conflicts - Belgian Envoy - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Observer] To end political conflicts in the African Great Lakes region, leaders should prioritise good governance and the rule of law, Belgium's special envoy to the region that comprises Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda, has said.
- Wed - Jun 21, 2017: Increase in Rent Causes Bujumbura City Market Traders to Close Shops - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] Traders of about 30 shops at the Bujumbura City Market -BCM have suspended their daily activities due to the increase in rent, this morning 20 June. The market's management accuses them of illegally occupying its empty spaces.