COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: BujumburaGovernment: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,178,921 (2015)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Aug 18, 2017: Comoros, Burundi Apply to Join Regional Body - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[SANF] Pretoria -One of the key issues to be discussed by the 37th SADC Summit to open 19 August in Pretoria, South Africa is to expand the membership of the regional organization.
- Fri - Aug 18, 2017: No Improvement of Situation, Says Chairman of Commission of Inquiry On Burundi - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] The Commission of Inquiry on Human Rights on Burundi will present the final report of its investigation in Geneva between the 18 and 19 September at the thirty-sixth session of the Human Rights Council. The chairman of the commission says the report will confirm that serious abuses continue to be committed in Burundi.
- Fri - Aug 18, 2017: Imbonerakure Students Accused of Conducting Night Patrols On Mutanga Campus - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] At Mutanga Campus of Burundi University, students say they are seriously beaten by imbonerakure students when they go back to the campus late in the night. The campus security officer denies the students' claim and appeals to them to conform to the university regulations.
- Fri - Aug 18, 2017: CNARED Still Demands Negotiations to End Crisis - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] Members of the National Council for the Respect of the Arusha Agreement and Rule of Law-CNARED have recently held a three-day meeting in Belgium. Negotiations and consolidation of the members of the board were on the agenda.
- Thu - Aug 17, 2017: What Is the Value of Water? - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] When you and I breathe in fresh air, the amount I inhale affects you in no way. This is because air is abundant and so there's plenty of it to go around. We actually take it for granted since it exists in copious amounts. Now, imagine a situation where there is limited supply of air, and yet, several pairs of lungs are waiting for their share. What do you think would happen? What would we do? Would we use it all up and suffocate, or would all those concerned brainstorm on how best to utilise this scarce re