COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: BujumburaGovernment: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,178,921 (2015)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Jul 21, 2017: Human Rights Watch Submission to the Universal Periodic Review of Burundi - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[HRW] In late April 2015, the announcement by the ruling National Council for the Defense of Democracy-Forces for the Defense of Democracy (CNDD-FDD) that Nkurunziza would stand for a third term ignited protests in the capital Bujumbura, and later in other locations. Many Burundians believed that the president's third term violated a 2000 peace agreement that sets a maximum of two five-year presidential terms.
- Fri - Jul 21, 2017: President Magufuli Urges Burundians to Return Home - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Daily News] Ngara -President John Magufuli yesterday suspended temporarily the registration and naturalisation of Burundian refugees, urging the immigrants to return home.
- Fri - Jul 21, 2017: Two Teens Spotted Crossing Canadian Border - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Deutsche Welle] Six Burundi teenagers have vanished after taking part in a robotics tournament in Washington DC. Police said they suspected no "foul play," feeding speculation that the group wanted to avoid returning home.
- Thu - Jul 20, 2017: Teenagers Go 'Missing' After U.S. Competition - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[allAfrica] Six Burundi teenagers who travelled to Washington, DC in the United States to take part in a robotics competition were reported as having gone missing after the competition was over.
- Thu - Jul 20, 2017: The Collateral Damage of the FIDH Report On Burundi - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Daily Maverick] When you work on sensitive cases such as Burundi it is important and necessary to be prudent, to be fair and to ensure that the message you send out will contribute to peace and cohesion. There is a danger in just a single story, writes PATRICK HAJAYANDI.