COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,446,756 (2017)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Aug 20, 2018: Burundian Experience Offers Insights for the Zimbabwe Opposition - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Daily Maverick] The important lesson for Zimbabwe's opposition from what happened in Burundi in 2010 is that participation is key. Despite what may look like injustice, it is good for the Zimbabwean opposition to stay within decision-making institutions such as the national assembly in order to counter any move that would otherwise lead to devastating consequences such as an untimely change of the constitution.
- Mon - Aug 20, 2018: Tanzania, Burundi Miss Deadline On Double Taxation - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[East African] Tanzania and Burundi missed the July 18 deadline set by the region's heads of state to ratify the East African Community Multilateral Double Taxation Agreement.
- Fri - Aug 10, 2018: UN Envoy Urges Leaders to 'Seize Opportunities for National Unity and Peace' - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[UN News] The Secretary-General's Special Envoy for Burundi, Michel Kafando, has called on the country's leaders to "seize the opportunity" offered by the recent adoption of a new constitution, to create a new political environment that is "conducive to the consolidation of national unity and peace".
- Thu - Aug 9, 2018: Burundi - Call to Renew the Mandate of the Commission of Inquiry - AllAfrica News: Burundi
- Mon - Aug 6, 2018: Serengeti Boys to Play Burundi in CAF Opener - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Citizen] Dar es Salaam -Mainland Tanzania U-16 soccer team, Serengeti Boys, will start their campaign to win the inaugural African Youth Championships for the East and Central African Football Association (Cecafa Zone) against Burundi in the qualifying tournament.