COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,844,520 (2018)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Apr 9, 2020: Football Team Plays Through Coronavirus Threat - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[VOA] Burundi's national football club is continuing its pursuit of a championship, despite the deadly risk posed by the global spread of the coronavirus.
- Fri - Apr 3, 2020: Burundi Records Three Cases of Coronavirus - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[East African] In one week, Burundi recorded its first three cases of the coronavirus disease since the pandemic hit the region.
- Fri - Apr 3, 2020: Aid Groups Blocked From Coronavirus Quarantine Sites - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[The New Humanitarian] Bournemouth, UK -'Any interventions should be in line with international human rights standards.'
- Wed - Apr 1, 2020: Any Covid-19 Cover-Up Will Put Lives At Risk - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[HRW] Nairobi -Burundian authorities risk putting people in grave danger without the free flow of fact-based information on the COVID-19 pandemic. Speaking about the country's exposure to the virus, President Pierre Nkurunziza's spokesperson recently said "Burundi is an exception because it is a country that has put God first." Such national exceptionalism claims should not be used to prevent people from raising concerns about suspected cases and the potential spread of the virus.
- Wed - Apr 1, 2020: Burundi Announces First Two Covid-19 Cases - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[East African] Burundi has confirmed its first two coronavirus cases, Health minister Thadée Ndikumana announced late Tuesday.