COAT OF ARMS
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 10, 395,000 (2014)
Land Size: 27,816 sq km (10,740 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: Malaria Not Yet Declared As Epidemic, Says Public Health Minister - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] "From 2015 to 2016, the number of people suffering from malaria has increased in Burundi. However, the number of sick people has decreased of 20% at the beginning of 2017", says Josiane Nijimbere, Burundi Public Health Minister, during the plenary session in the National Assembly, this 23 February.
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: UN Removes Burundi Staff Officer From Its Peacekeeping Mission - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] The UN has removed from its peacekeeping mission Major Nicolas Budigi over allegations of human rights violations in Burundi.
- Fri - Feb 24, 2017: Burundi Police Chiefs Snub Regional Meet in Kigali - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[East African] There appears to be no end in sight for the sour diplomatic relation between Rwanda and Burundi.
- Thu - Feb 23, 2017: Burundi Refugees Refuse to Return Home - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[East African] Burundian officials who had travelled to Uganda to persuade their nationals to return home left empty-handed after they were met with a hostile reception.
- Wed - Feb 22, 2017: Four Ways in Which the Burundi Crisis Is Far From Over - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[African Arguments] The government is calling on its 380,000 refugees to return home, claiming the country is safe. Why does no-one believe them?