COAT OF ARMS
|Capital: BujumburaGovernment: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,178,921 (2015)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - May 24, 2017: The Quiet Impact of Magufuli in Burundi - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Citizen] Dar es Salaam -The long wait for the big news - the anticipated breakthrough perhaps - on the divisive trade deal between the East African Community (EAC) and the European Union (EU) didn't end with the expected on Saturday.
- Wed - May 24, 2017: DW Correspondent Freed in Burundi - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Deutsche Welle] Antediteste Niragiri has been released from Burundian police custody. The DW correspondent had been handed over by authorities after spending several days jailed in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Wed - May 24, 2017: Instability, Abuse Force Thousands to Flee - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[VOA] The United Nations refugee agency reports thousands of Burundians are fleeing instability and abuse in their country as funding to support growing numbers of refugees dries up.
- Wed - May 24, 2017: With Funding 'Down to a Trickle,' UN Agency Renews Warning Over Burundi Refugees - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[UN News] The United Nations refugee agency has increased its funding appeal by $36 million to support Burundians fleeing their homes in what could become the third-largest refugee crisis in Africa.
- Wed - May 24, 2017: How Burundi Crisis Has Hit Kenya's Trade Ambitions - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Nation] Kenya's hopes of having neighbours sign the much-needed economic partnership agreement with the European Union (EU) now depends on how soon the bloc will lift sanctions on Burundi.