COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,446,756 (2017)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Oct 16, 2018: East Africa Now Owes China $29.4 Billion in Infrastructure Loans - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Nation] East African economies have in the past 10 years borrowed $29.42 billion to grow their transport, communication, manufacturing and energy sectors.
- Mon - Oct 15, 2018: Burundi Accuses Belgium of Ordering Assassination of Independence Hero - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Monitor] Burundi on Sunday accused former colonial power Belgium of ordering the assassination of independence hero and Crown Prince Louis Rwagasore in 1961, a move likely to further poison ties between the two countries.
- Fri - Oct 12, 2018: Burundi Battles Arrivals of Congolese Refugees - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[CAJ News] Bujumbura -BURUNDI is battling an influx of refugees fleeing conflict in the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
- Tue - Oct 9, 2018: Burundi Should No Longer Be On UN Security Council's Agenda, Says Foreign Minister - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[UN News] The United Nations Security Council should "have the courage to remove Burundi from its agenda", Foreign Minister Ezekiel Nibigira said on Saturday from the rostrum of the General Assembly.
- Mon - Oct 8, 2018: Hope in Guinea, Disappointment in Togo, Impunity in Burundi - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[New Democrat] Will justice be done in Guinea in the very sensitive case of the September 28, 2009 massacre of 150 people in a stadium in the capital Conakry? This looks more likely after investigations closed in December 2017 and the suspects were referred for trial, but victims are not so happy.