COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Pierre Nkurunziza
Population: 11,178,921 (2015)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Tue - Jan 23, 2018: Bujumbura - Small Denomination Banknotes to Provoke Quarrel Between Bus Drivers and Passengers - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] Following the rise in fuel prices at gas stations, bus fare in Bujumbura town and in the countryside has increased. The price of transport in Bujumbura neighbourhoods has increased from BIF 350 to BIF 380. The lack of BIF 10 and 20 bills causes problems.
- Tue - Jan 23, 2018: Save 'Aaron Tunga' - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] This musician and arranger with dual nationality (Burundian-Canadian) must have an operation in India. Burundian and Rwandan singers and artists are mobilizing to have him treated.
- Tue - Jan 23, 2018: Five Women Burned Within Two Weeks in Western Burundi - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] Victims are from Rugombo, Buganda and Mugina communes in Cibitoke western province. Women activists decry these despicable acts and demand justice and administration executives to intervene.
- Mon - Jan 22, 2018: Youth Think Tank for Great Lakes - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] Those young people are from Burundi, DRC and Rwanda. They network for the development of the Great Lakes region by promoting entrepreneurial initiatives of young people.
- Mon - Jan 22, 2018: Opposition to Contribute to 2020 Elections - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Iwacu] 36 unions and the parliamentary group from Amizero y'Abarundi coalition have protested against the withdrawal of money from workers' salary to contribute to the elections in 2020. They denounce the use of force.