COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Évariste Ndayishimiye
Population: 11,865,821 (2020)
Land Size: 27,834 sq km (10,747 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Feb 23, 2021: Govt Lifts Sanctions on Local Radio Station - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[East African] The Burundi National Communication Council (CNC) on Monday lifted a ban on Bonesha radio after dialogue between CNC and media owners early this month.
- Tue - Feb 23, 2021: Rwanda-Burundi Irrigation, Power Project Seeks U.S.$190 Million in Funding - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[New Times] The Nile Basin Initiative Secretariat has announced that resources mobilization is ongoing to fund Akanyaru Multipurpose Water Resources Development project.
- Sun - Feb 21, 2021: Burundi, Tanzania Seek Over $1bn to Construct Inter-State Railroad - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[Daily News] BURUNDI and Tanzania revealed a plan to raise $1.9bn for constructing a railway line linking the two countries.
- Wed - Feb 17, 2021: Humanitarian Agencies Seek U.S.$222 Million to Support Burundian Refugees - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[UNHCR] UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, together with 33 partners, is appealing for US$222.6 million to provide much needed humanitarian assistance for over 315,000 Burundian refugees during 2021.
- Wed - Feb 17, 2021: UN Refugee Agency Appeals for Over U.S.$220 Million in 'Crucial' Support - AllAfrica News: Burundi
[UN News] An urgent appeal for $222.6 million was made on Tuesday by the UN refugee agency and partners to assist more than 315K Burundian refugees this year.