COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Roch Marc Christian Kaboré
Population: 19,742,715 (2018)
Land Size: 274,200 sq km (105,900 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Oct 19, 2019: Expanding Sahara Leaves Broken Families and Violence in Its Wake - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[IPS] Bamako, Mali/Cotonou, Benin -Abdoulaye Maiga proudly displays an album showing photos of him and his family during happier times when they all lived together in their home in northern Mali. Today, these memories seem distant and painful.
- Mon - Oct 14, 2019: Over a Dozen People Killed in Attack On Mosque - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[Deutsche Welle] The death toll currently stands at 16 after armed men forced their way into a mosque and opened fire. Attacks of this kind have become commonplace in the region in recent years.
- Tue - Oct 8, 2019: Black Stars B Clash With Cote d'Ivoire ... After Overcoming Stubborn B. Faso - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[Ghanaian Times] BURKINA Faso's recent stranglehold on Ghana has been broken - and it was only done through the lottery of shoot-out.
- Tue - Oct 8, 2019: Cotton Is Trade and That's Why It Matters - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[ITC] From Africa to China, cotton remains an important commodity across the world, but four states from West Africa - Benin, Burkina Faso, Chad and Mali (also known as the Cotton 4 countries) - have taken the initiative and applied to the United Nations General Assembly for official recognition of World Cotton Day on 7 October.
- Fri - Oct 4, 2019: Real Men Respect Women, Says School for Husbands in Burkina Faso - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[UNFPA] Waimbabie Gnoumou is learning to be a better husband, says his wife, Martine. That's because he is going to a special school that teaches men exactly that. The Husbands and Future Husbands School in Mamboué, a village in western Burkina Faso, breaks down gender stereotypes and shows men the role they have to play in ending violence and empowering their wives and daughters.