COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Roch Marc Christian Kaboré
Population: 19,742,715 (2018)
Land Size: 274,200 sq km (105,900 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Jun 14, 2019: Rethinking Strategy to Stop the Spread of Terrorism - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[ISS] The terror threat across Africa is as strong as ever. Attacks are occurring not just in the older centres of activity such as Somalia, northern Nigeria and northern Mali, but in emerging hotspots like northern Mozambique and Burkina Faso as well.
- Fri - Jun 14, 2019: Burkina Faso's Atrocities in the Name of Security Will Help Terrorists' Ranks - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[HRW] Burkina Faso is in the grips of a dangerous threat from armed Islamist fighters who are murdering civilians and threatening to destabilize other West African countries. But the government's abusive counterinsurgency strategy, notably the summary execution of suspects, risks inflaming the conflict by driving more people into the hands of Islamist militant recruiters.
- Fri - Jun 14, 2019: Violence Against Christians On the Rise in Africa - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[Deutsche Welle] The African continent is seeing an increasing number of violent attacks on Christians. Church representatives are particularly at risk of being targeted ― as are imams.
- Sun - Jun 9, 2019: A Weakened State Is Paving the Way for Terrorism - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[The Conversation Africa] Last month in northern Burkina Faso there were attacks on a church and on a procession of Catholics. These have raised fears of religious strife in a country where security remains a major challenge. These attacks follow the murder of a pastor and five congregants in Silgadji, in the north, and the kidnapping of a Catholic priest.
- Wed - Jun 5, 2019: French Court Validates François Compaoré Extradition to Burkina Faso - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[RFI] Burkina Faso has welcomed the ruling by France's highest court approving the extradition of François Compaoré. The brother of ousted president Blaise Compaoré is facing prosecution for the murder of a journalist in 1998.