COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Roch Marc Christian Kaboré
Population: 19,742,715 (2018)
Land Size: 274,200 sq km (105,900 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Wed - Dec 11, 2019: Is Organised Crime Fuelling Terror Groups in Liptako-Gourma? - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[ISS] Illicit activities such as weapon, drug, motorcycle and fuel trafficking, cattle rustling, artisanal gold mining and poaching are at the heart of terror groups' survival. These activities also finance their establishment and expansion.
- Tue - Dec 10, 2019: Lessons From History - Constitution and Insurrection in Burkina Faso - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[Daily Maverick] In South Africa and elsewhere there is a growing scepticism about constitutions as vehicles for social change. Historian Peter Brett explains what happened.
- Thu - Dec 5, 2019: In 20 Years, Will Five Arid Nations Be a Sahelistan or a Desert Rose? - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[allAfrica] Cape Town -Five countries in west Africa's Sahel region -- Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger -- are facing crises across multiple fronts, including the accelerated impact of climate change, rapid population growth and extreme poverty. As these challenges intensify, international attention has refocused on the conflicts that accompany those challenges. In Mali in November, over 50 soldiers were killed in a bold attack on a military base and 13 French troops died in a helicopter crash suppor
- Thu - Dec 5, 2019: Macron Demands Answers From Sahel Presidents on French Troops - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[RFI] President Emmanuel Macron announced that he invited the presidents of the five countries of the region on December 16th to Pau in the south of France. His objective: that they clarify their position on the French presence at a time when anti-French sentiment is growing in several Sahelian countries.
- Tue - Dec 3, 2019: Visagie Scoops Sotigui Award in Burkina Faso - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[Namibian] Actor Adriano Visagie recently won best actor southern Africa at the 2019 Sotigui Awards for his performance in 'Salute!', a film produced and directed by Philippe Talavera.