COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Roch Marc Christian Kaboré
Population: 17,322,796 (2014)
Land Size: 274,200 sq km (105,900 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Thu - Aug 17, 2017: Support Needed for North in Fight Against Terror - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[Deutsche Welle] Not for the first time, a terror attack in Ouagadougou has left many people dead. But terror is not only a problem in the capital of Burkina Faso. The threat is present throughout the country, says Thomas Mösch.
- Wed - Aug 16, 2017: Mali, Burkina Faso Attacks Boost Calls for G5 Anti-Jihadi Force At UN - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[RFI] Jihadi attacks in Mali and Burkina Faso overshadowed Tuesday's UN Security Council meeting, which discussed efforts to establish peace in Africa. Delegates were mulling plans to roll out an all-African force in the Sahel to tackle the armed Islamist threat, but the plan has been beset by challenges.
- Tue - Aug 15, 2017: Police Ends Operation Against Suspected Jihadists - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[VOA] Burkina Faso's security forces have ended their operation against suspected Islamic militants who opened fire on a restaurant in the country's capital, killing at least 18 people and wounding eight.
- Tue - Aug 15, 2017: Burkina Attack - Macron, Kaboré Want G5 Anti-Jihad Force Soon - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[RFI] French President Emmanuel Macron has called for the swift launch of a five-nation African anti-terror force following Sunday's murderous attack on a restaurant in Burkina Faso's capital, Ouagadougou.
- Mon - Aug 14, 2017: Restaurant Attacked By Gunmen in Burkina Faso - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[Al Jazeera] An attack by gunmen on a Turkish restaurant that began late on Sunday left at least 18 people dead and eight wounded in the capital of Burkina Faso, a West African country that has seen a surge in violence by armed groups over the past few years.