COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Roch Marc Christian Kaboré
Population: 20,835,401 (2020)
Land Size: 274,200 sq km (105,900 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Jun 11, 2021: The Bishops - 'We Offer Our Condolences for the Victims of the Solhan Massacre' - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[Agenzia Fides] Ouagadougou -- "As we know, our country, Burkina Faso, has once again experienced a deadly attack, in Solhan, in Yaga, in the Sahel. On behalf of our Church Family of God, we offer our sincere condolences to Bishop Dabiré, to the Diocese of Dori, to the bereaved families, and we entrust the victims of Solhan and all the victims of terrorist attacks to the mercy of God; civilian and military victims, in our country, as well as in Niger", said His Eminence Cardinal Philippe Ouedraogo, Archbishop of Ouagadougou, at t
- Thu - Jun 10, 2021: Nigeria, Togo, Others Plan $570m Power Transmission Line - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[This Day] The federal government, represented by the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) along with Togo, Burkina Faso and the Niger Republic, yesterday commenced a high-level meeting in Abuja, to put final touches to the execution of a planned $570 million transmission line which runs across the four countries.
- Thu - Jun 10, 2021: Ivorian Soldier Dies in Attack On the Border With Burkina Faso - Army - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[Agenzia Fides] Abidjan -- "On the night of Monday, June 7, 2021, armed men attacked the city of Tougbo in the Boun department on the border with Burkina Faso at around 9 p.m. According to initial reports, an Ivorian soldier died of serious injuries", reads a statement from the Chief of Staff of the Ivory Coast Army, Lieutenant General Lassina Doumbia, issued the day after the attack. The Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces expressed his condolences to the family of the deceased soldier and praised the men's quick response, courage a
- Wed - Jun 9, 2021: Village Emptied As Thousands Flee Jihadist Violence - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[RFI] More than 7,000 people have fled a village in Burkina Faso that was attacked over the weekend, adding to tens of thousands already displaced by a jihadist insurgency in the country.
- Wed - Jun 9, 2021: Massacre Survivors in Urgent Need of Aid - UN - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[VOA] Geneva -- The U.N. refugee agency says survivors of the Saturday massacre in a Burkina Faso village are in desperate need of humanitarian aid.