COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Roch Marc Christian Kaboré
Population: 17,322,796 (2014)
Land Size: 274,200 sq km (105,900 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Fri - Apr 28, 2017: Trial Delayed for Burkina Faso's Former President - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[VOA] A Burkina Faso court has postponed the start of the trial of ex-president Blaise Compaoré and his former Cabinet. The accused are being tried for their alleged role in the violent crackdown on the 2014 uprising that ultimately ended Compaoré's nearly three decades in power.
- Mon - Apr 24, 2017: Tanzania's Iringa Farmers Root for Bigger Say in EAC Trade - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[Daily News] Iringa small scale farmers have asked the government and the East African Community (EAC) Secretariat to eliminate both the traditional and new challenges related to non-tariff barriers (NTBs), impact of climate change and low participation of farmers in the EAC agritrade policy making process.
- Sun - Apr 23, 2017: New African Union Chief Puts Peace Back On the Agenda - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[ISS] The scene is not a familiar one at the African Union (AU): the AU Commission (AUC) chairperson, in shirtsleeves, walking in the blazing sun down an unpaved alley in a war-torn country. Yet this picture of Moussa Faki Mahamat, the new AUC chairperson, on a visit to South Sudan, is probably the first of many.
- Tue - Apr 11, 2017: Security Alone Won't Save Burkina Faso From Extremism - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[ISS] Since 4 April 2015, the day a Romanian citizen was abducted in Tambao on Burkina Faso's north-east border with Mali and Niger, about 20 terror attacks killing 70 people have been recorded in the country, according to the Minister for Security, Simon Compaoré.
- Mon - Apr 3, 2017: Suspects in Arms Depot Raid Claim Torture, Humiliation - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[Al Jazeera] About 20 Burkinabe soldiers on trial at a military tribunal over a failed raid on an arms depot last year have said they were tortured to extract their confessions.