COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Roch Marc Christian Kaboré
Population: 20,835,401 (2020)
Land Size: 274,200 sq km (105,900 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Sep 18, 2020: Young Rice Producers Combat Hunger Amid Poverty - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[allAfrica] On a mission to satisfy local demand for rice, the Mitiri Cooperative of Young Rice Producers are fighting for the eradication of hunger in Bagre, a rural community located in the east of Burkina Faso's Boulgou province. The area is home to just over 29 000 people.
- Fri - Sep 18, 2020: Feeding The Future With Homegrown Cassava, Rice - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[allAfrica] Dakar and Cape Town -- The United States African Development Foundation (USADF) is celebrating a decade of its Feed the Future campaign, which enables partner organisations to target the root causes of poverty and hunger. Its work has been focused on the most marginalized communities, where there are concentrations of poverty and hunger - with all the attendant social and health problems, including 'stunting', when children who are undernourished before their fifth birthdays will never be able to achieve their full mental or phy
- Fri - Sep 11, 2020: Andre Bationo and Catherine Nakalembe Awarded the 2020 Africa Food Prize - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[AGRA] Dr. André Bationo and Dr. Catherine Nakalembe have been announced as the 2020 winners of the Africa Food Prize (AFP) for their exceptional contribution towards the promotion of food security across the continent.
- Wed - Sep 9, 2020: Ecowas to Withdraw Its Troops From Guinea Bissau - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[ANGOP] ECOWAS will gradually withdraw its intervention force in Guinea-Bissau. A first group has already left Bissau on August 27.
- Tue - Sep 8, 2020: Over 535,000 Children Under Five 'Acutely' Malnourished - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[UN News] New data from UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) has revealed worsening nutritional situation for children in Burkina Faso, with more than 535,500 children under the age of five suffering from acute malnutrition - an unprecedented level.