COAT OF ARMS
Government: Unitary Semi-Presidential Republic
Current President: Roch Marc Christian Kaboré
Population: 20,107,509 (2017)
Land Size: 274,200 sq km (105,900 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Thu - Jun 21, 2018: As Millions Face Hunger in Sahel, More Accountability Is Needed to Attract Support, Warns Red Cross President - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[IFRC] About 5.8 million people across Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Niger and Senegal are struggling to get enough food and require immediate assistance. To respond to their needs adequately, humanitarian actors need to manage well the funding they receive from their partners and well-wishers, warned Francesco Rocca, the President of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), during a visit to Guinea, from 18 to 20 June 2018.
- Wed - Jun 6, 2018: Pierre-Christophe Gam - Paying Homage to Thomas Sankara Through Art - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[This is Africa] Thomas Sankara might be dead but his spirit is alive, a source of inspiration to many Africans, including artists like Pierre-Christophe Gam, a Cameroonian-Chadian artist. Gam titled his work The Upright Man "a mixed media installation offering an apocryphal look at the life and legacy of Thomas Sankara".
- Fri - Jun 1, 2018: 'We Are the Enemies of Our Leaders' - West Africa Leaks Journalists - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[International Consortium of Investigative Journalists] The 13 journalists who worked on the West Africa Leaks face everything from threats, law suits and intimidation.
- Fri - Jun 1, 2018: Wanted - Honorary Consuls For 'Cash-Strapped' African Nations - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[International Consortium of Investigative Journalists] Honorary consuls occupy a little-known niche in the global elite. Many work to rigorous standards, but for others their avowed love for their adopted country is not always reflected in their tax filings.
- Fri - May 25, 2018: Ouagadougou Cuts Ties With Taipei - AllAfrica News: Burkina Faso
[allAfrica] The Burkina Faso government has announced it is cutting ties with Taiwan.