COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Representative Democratic Republic
Current President: Patrice Talon
Population: 12,864,634 (2020)
Land Size: 112,622 sq km (43,484 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Nov 15, 2021: Benin's Groundbreaking New Abortion Law Will Save the Lives of Many Women - AllAfrica News: Benin
[Daily Maverick] Benin's parliament has voted to legalise abortion in most circumstances. This is a groundbreaking move by the west African country given that 92% of women of reproductive age on the continent live in countries which have restrictions - some moderate, some severe - on abortions. Moina Spooner, from The Conversation Africa, asked reproductive health expert, Ramatou Ouedraogo, to unpack the significance of this ruling.
- Mon - Nov 15, 2021: DR Congo Beat Benin to Progress to World Cup Qualifiers Play-Off Round - AllAfrica News: Benin
[CAF] The Democratic Republic of Congo are through to the play-off round of the Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers after edging Benin 2-0 in a Group J top of the table clash in Kinshasa.
- Fri - Nov 12, 2021: Benin Celebrates Return of Stolen Heritage 130 Years On - AllAfrica News: Benin
[JusticeInfo.net] It is done! On November 10, Benin received 12 boxes containing 26 royal treasures stolen by colonial France. This was a historic day when Beninese people turned out to celebrate the return of these works after 130 years away from their land, at the risk of not seeing much. We recount some moments of this long-awaited day at the airport, in the street and at the presidential palace.
- Thu - Nov 11, 2021: 'We're Saving Our Children' - Abortion Law Welcomed - AllAfrica News: Benin
[DW] Benin's parliament has voted to legalize abortion in most cases, becoming one of only a handful of African countries to do so.
- Wed - Nov 10, 2021: France Hands Back Looted Artifacts to Benin - AllAfrica News: Benin
[DW] French forces stole the artifacts from the West African nation amid a bloody colonial takeover. After over a century, the items are finally heading home.