COAT OF ARMS
Current President: Abdelaziz Bouteflika
Population: 38, 813,000 (2014)
Land Size: 2.4 million sq km (919,595 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Tue - Feb 21, 2017: Merkel's Algeria Visit Called Off As Bouteflika Falls Ill - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Deutsche Welle] Chancellor Merkel's visit to Algeria has been called off because President Bouteflika is too sick to meet. The two-day trip was part of an effort to stem migration from North Africa in an election year in Germany.
- Tue - Feb 21, 2017: The Algerian Dream of Travelling to Europe - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Deutsche Welle] Berlin is under pressure to deport refugees from so-called "safe countries of origin" back to their homelands. But a country like Algeria has other challenges to overcome before it takes back its people.
- Mon - Feb 20, 2017: French Presidential Candidate Macron Slams Critics of Algeria Remarks - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[RFI] French presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron on Friday slammed opponents for "exploiting" his declaration that French colonialism was a "crime against humanity" for electoral ends. He also claimed that Ukraine-based hackers were repeatedly attacking the website of his election campaign.
- Sat - Feb 11, 2017: New Judges Appointed to the African Court On Human and Peoples' Rights - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Nation] Two new judges have been appointed to the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights.
- Thu - Feb 9, 2017: Angola and Algeria Analyze Dynamism of Cultural Cooperation - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[ANGOP] Luanda -The re-launch and stimulation of cultural cooperation marked the audience of the Culture Minister, Carolina Cerqueira, to the Algerian ambassador to Angola, Larbi Latrach.