COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdelaziz Bouteflika
Population: 40,969,443 (2017)
Land Size: 2.4 million sq km (919,595 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Fri - Feb 15, 2019: North Africa Seen As Unsafe for LGBT People - Rights Groups - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Deutsche Welle] The Bundesrat, Germany's upper house of parliament, is considering whether to recognize Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia as "safe countries of origin." Yet LGBT people are still persecuted in all three places.
- Thu - Feb 14, 2019: France Urged to Take Responsibility for Waste From 1960s Sahara Desert Nuclear Tests - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -Participants in a conference organized Wednesday in Algiers called upon the French authorities to assume their responsibility in the "gathering of waste resulted from the nuclear tests they conducted in the Algerian Sahara desert during the 1960s".
- Thu - Feb 14, 2019: President Bouteflika Appoints Abdelkader Kara Bouhadba New Police Chief - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -President of the Republic Abdelaziz Bouteflika appointed Abdelkader Kara Bouhadba, as General Director of the National Police (DGSN), replacing Lakhdar Lahbiri, said Wednesday a communiqué of the ministry of the Interior, Local Assemblies and National Planning.
- Mon - Feb 11, 2019: President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to Run for Fifth Term - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Deutsche Welle] President Bouteflika will run for a fifth term amid concern about a political transition following the 81-year-old's rule. For some he is respected for ending the country's civil war. For others he is an autocrat.
- Fri - Feb 8, 2019: Activist Jailed for Holding Anti-President Placard - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[AI London] Hadj Ghermoul arrested for Facebook photo showing him holding 'No to a fifth term in office' sign opposing fifth presidential term for veteran leader Abdelaziz Bouteflika