COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdelmadjid Tebboune
Population: 42,972,878 (2020)
Land Size: 2.4 million sq km (919,595 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sun - Sep 20, 2020: President Tebboune Installs National Commission in Charge of Preparing Draft Revision of Electoral Law - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -- President of the Republic, Abdelmadjid Tebboune on Saturday has installed the National Commission in charge of preparing the draft revision of the organic law on the electoral system, under the chairmanship of Prof. Laraba, the Presidency of the Republic said in a press release.
- Sat - Sep 19, 2020: Anonymous Letters - Instruction to Members of Government, Security Officials - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -- The Presidency of the Republic issued on Friday a statement concerning anonymous letters of denunciation, which is as follows:
- Thu - Sep 17, 2020: Phosphate Mining Megaproject - U.S.$6bn Development Plan - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -- A development plan worth six billion, divided into three phases, have been established for a phosphate mining megaproject in eastern Algeria, the minister of Energy Abdelmadjid Attar said Tuesday in Algiers.
- Thu - Sep 17, 2020: UN Experts Condemn Jail Sentence for Journalist and Call for His Release - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[OHCHR] UN human rights experts* today condemned the prison sentence handed down on appeal to an Algerian journalist and human rights defender, Khaled Drareni who has become a symbol of press freedom in the North African country. They called on Algerian authorities to overturn the sentence and release Drareni from prison.
- Thu - Sep 17, 2020: No Problem Impedes Algerian Gas Supply to Tunisia - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis/Tunisia -- No problem is currently impeding the supply of Algerian gas to Tunisia, in compliance with the agreements concluded between the two countries, said Monday, the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Energy Transition.