COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdelaziz Bouteflika
Population: 41,657,488 (2018)
Land Size: 2.4 million sq km (919,595 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Aug 20, 2019: Human Rights Watch Official Deported - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[HRW] New York -Algerian authorities deported a Human Rights Watch official, Ahmed Benchemsi, on August 19, 2019, Human Rights Watch said today. The authorities detained him for 10 hours and seized his passports, holding them for 10 days before deporting him.
- Fri - Aug 9, 2019: Changing the Migration Horizon From North Africa to Europe - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[ISS] New leadership is coming into power at the European Union (EU). In July, newly elected and re-elected members of parliament began their work at the European Parliament. In November the top leadership will change.
- Mon - Aug 5, 2019: Algeria Star Bennacer Moves From Empoli to AC Milan - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[RFI] AC Milan on Sunday announced the signing of the Algeria midfielder Ismael Bennacer.
- Tue - Jul 30, 2019: Harambee Stars Forward Joins Algerian Giants - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Nation] Harambee Stars striker Masoud Juma has joined Algerian side Jeunesse Sportive de Kabylie on a three-year deal.
- Mon - Jul 29, 2019: Where to From Here in Algeria? - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[ISS] It is Friday in Algeria. Once again - as they have for 23 weeks - protesters will fill the streets of cities across the country. Their ranks represent a cross-section of Algeria: young and old, men and women, office workers and labourers. All marching peacefully, many draped in Algerian flags, calling for democracy and civil rights.