COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdelaziz Bouteflika
Population: 41,657,488 (2018)
Land Size: 2.4 million sq km (919,595 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Tue - Dec 10, 2019: Car Assembly Case - Ouyahia, Sellal Sentenced to 15 and 12 Years in Prison Respectively - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] The two former Prime Ministers, Ahmed Ouyahia and Abdelmalek Sellal, prosecuted in cases of corruption and abuse of power, including the car assembly case, were sentenced on Tuesday to 15 and 12 years in prison respectively by the Sidi M'hamed court in Algiers.
- Tue - Dec 10, 2019: Fresh Wave of Arrests Ahead of Presidential Elections - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[AI London] Millions have demonstrated against this week's elections
- Mon - Dec 9, 2019: Morocco and Algeria - Writing Their Next Chapters. How Will They Turn Out? - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Moroccan American Center] A recent article using data from the Arab Barometer asked the question "Could Morocco see the next uprising after Sudan and Algeria?" While it was selective in its choice of data points, for example, attitudes toward religion, the point of the article, which echoes King Mohammed VI's recent messages, is that the government's programs are not working in terms of equitable distribution of opportunities and economic development. More importantly, many Moroccans, especially youth, are feeling marginalized and
- Mon - Dec 9, 2019: CAF - Petro Draw With Usma From Algeria - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[ANGOP] Luanda -Petro de Luanda drew last Saturday to a ball with Usma from Algeria, in a match of the second round of group C of the African football Champions League.
- Mon - Dec 9, 2019: Bensalah Receives Speaker of National People's Assembly - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -Head of State Abdelkader Bensalah received Sunday in Algiers Speaker of the National People's Assembly (Lower House), Slimane Chenine, said the Presidency of the Republic in a statement.