COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdelmadjid Tebboune
Population: 42,972,878 (2020)
Land Size: 2.4 million sq km (919,595 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Jul 6, 2020: Algeria 'Waiting' for Apology Over Colonial Occupation By France, President Says - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[RFI] Algeria is waiting for an apology for France's colonial occupation of the North African country, the president said, expressing hope that Emmanuel Macron would build on recent conciliatory overtures.
- Fri - Jul 3, 2020: President Tebboune Announces Repatriation of Remains of 24 Algerian Resistance Fighters - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] ALGIERS- President of the Republic Abdelmadjid Tebboune on Thursday announced the repatriation on Friday of the remains of 24 Algerian resistance fighters. The remains will be carried by a military aircraft of the Armed Forces from France.
- Fri - Jul 3, 2020: Filmmakers Malek Bensmail, Salem Brahimi Among Members of Oscars - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -- Filmmakers Malek Bensmail and Salem Brahimi are invited to join the list of 810 new members of the Academy Awards (the Oscars) which opened to other nationalities, said the organization's managers.
- Thu - Jul 2, 2020: Hydrocarbons - Sonatrach Reduces By 50 Percent Expenditure Without Affecting Production Activity - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -- National hydrocarbon company Sonatrach has reduced by 50% its expenditure and re-examined its investment plan in the last few months, following the government's instructions, said Wednesday, in Algiers, the company's CEO Toufik Hakkar.
- Thu - Jul 2, 2020: 58th Anniversary of Independence - President Tebboune Grants Pardon to a Number of Detainees - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -- President of the Republic, Abdelmadjid Tebboune decided on Wednesday to grant pardon measures to a number of detainees. The measure is part of the celebration of the 58th anniversary of Independence and Youth, said a press release from the Presidency of the Republic.