COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdelaziz Bouteflika
Population: 41,657,488 (2018)
Land Size: 2.4 million sq km (919,595 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Sat - Oct 19, 2019: Presidential Election - Candidacy Submission Deadline Set for October 26 - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] The National Independent Authority of Elections (ANIE) has set October 26 as the deadline for submitting candidacy forms for the Presidential elections, scheduled for December 12, the authority said Wednesday in a statement.
- Thu - Oct 17, 2019: Gambia Former Coach Savoy Linked to Algerian Club - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Foroyaa] Erstwhile Scorpions coach Raoul Savoy is tipped to take over the managerial helm of a local Algerian club. The 46-year-old was with the Central African Republic national team whom he failed to qualify for an Afcon berth.
- Tue - Oct 15, 2019: Football (League 1) - USM Algiers Boycotts Derby Against MC Algiers - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -USM Algiers boycotted the capital's derby against MC Algiers at the Olympic Stadium of July-5 on Saturday, the 4th day of national football championship (League 1), noting that the match was scheduled on a FIFA date and six of his players are not available for being called to take part in matches of different national teams.
- Tue - Oct 15, 2019: Algeria Supports Kenya's Bid for UNSC Post - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Capital FM] Nairobi -Algeria has pledged to support Kenya in its bid for the United Nations Security Council's (UNSC) non-permanent seat for the 2021-2022 term.
- Mon - Oct 14, 2019: Algeria Must Fight to Reach World Cup - Coach Belmadi - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Ghanaian Times] BACK in August 2018, when newly appointed Algeria coach Djamel Belmadi gave his first press conference, the team he inherited were playing badly and on a run of poor results. Yet despite the air of pessimism around the side, not helped by coming up well short in their bid to reach the 2018 World Cup in Russia, the new man at the helm told the media: "I'll go to Egypt and come back with the Cup of Nations."