COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdelaziz Bouteflika
Population: 40,400,000 (2016)
Land Size: 2.4 million sq km (919,595 sq miles)
Major Ethic Groups:
- Wed - May 24, 2017: Govt Needs to Do More to End Domestic Violence - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[HRW] "I would beat her," the Algerian man confirmed, "not hard, just normal." His response to the question, "Would you beat your wife?" aired on Ennahar, an Algerian TV channel in March, alongside several similar answers. sparked outrage on social media.
- Tue - May 23, 2017: 'CAPS United Aren't Easy Prey' - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[The Herald] USM Alger coach Paul Put says the Algerian giants have devoted ample time to studying CAPS United and have a comprehensive game plan to contain the Zimbabweans in a CAF Champions League Group B showdown at the National Sports Stadium tomorrow. The Belgian gaffer yesterday said he watched Makepekepe's opening group match against Zamalek and believes his men should brace for a tough battle.
- Fri - May 19, 2017: Chess Federation Plans for Algeria Competition - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Observer] The Liberia Chess Federation (LCF) has recently participated in the West Africa 4-4 individual chess tournament in Monrovia with three of its players emerging winners, next to Nigeria and the Ivory Coast.
- Thu - May 11, 2017: Beaten By Her Husband, and Nowhere to Turn - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[HRW] "Salwa's" husband started beating her in the early days of their marriage in 2006. She endured the punches until that fateful day in September 2011, when, she said, her husband hung her by the arms to a bar in the ceiling of their house with an iron wire and stripped her naked. He beat her with a broom, then slashed her breasts with scissors.
- Wed - May 10, 2017: Réalisation de 15 puits d'eau potable pour assurer une distribution régulière en prévision de Ramadhan - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Quinze (15) puits d'une capacité de pompage de 14 000 m3 par jour d'eau potable seront mis en service et exploités prochainement pour renforcer l'opération de distribution au profit des citoyens à l'ouest d'Alger en prévision du mois sacré de Ramadhan et de la saison estivale, a annoncé le directeur des ressources en eau de la wilaya d'Alger.