COAT OF ARMS
Government: Presidential Republic
Current President: Abdelaziz Bouteflika
Population: 41,657,488 (2018)
Land Size: 2.4 million sq km (919,595 sq miles)
Major Ethnic Groups:
- Mon - Jun 17, 2019: Ex-Prime Minster in Court Over Volkswagen-Linked Corruption Scandal - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Deutsche Welle] Four-time PM Ahmed Ouyahia has been questioned for a second time over alleged corruption involving the local partner of Volkswagen. He's the latest to face investigation as part of an army purge on the old ruling elite.
- Fri - Jun 14, 2019: Abdelmalek Sellal Remanded in Custody - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -The investigating judge at the Supreme Court ordered Thursday the detention of former Prime minister Abdelmalek Sellal on remand at the prison of El Harrach in Algiers, a source from the Supreme Court said.
- Fri - Jun 14, 2019: From 'Easy' Juba, Criminal Gangs Find Legal Ways to Smuggle People - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[East African] While the world's attention is focused on ensuring peace returns to South Sudan, the country's capital Juba is turning into yet another lucrative hub of human trafficking on the continent.
- Fri - Jun 14, 2019: Algerian Midfielder Expelled From Camp for 'Exposing Backside' - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Nairobi News] Algeria midfielder Haris Belkebla has been kicked out of the country's national team squad for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, for exposing his backside during a live stream.
- Mon - Jun 3, 2019: Presidential Vote Postponed After Contenders Disqualified - AllAfrica News: Algeria
[Deutsche Welle] Algeria has postponed presidential elections planned for next month after the two candidates were disqualified. The polls were to elect a successor to Abdelaziz Bouteflika, who resigned after pressure from protesters.